Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   LoopBe issue and Staff Setup bug (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3742)

wolf2272 06-11-2011 05:25 AM

LoopBe issue and Staff Setup bug

Hi everyone!

Sorry for posting a new thread so soon in relation with my previous one, but I've been having some "minor" issues that, after some time of fruitless efforts to solve them, become annoying...

You'll see, in certain moments, the feedback detection of the LoopBe engine that I use in order to use GPO4-Notation, mutes the MIDI port and I get a "frozen" sound of the song I was playing.

It happens when the song is playing in Notation and I click on a previous measure (so I can listen more carefully repeated times) without stopping first. Also, strangely, when I have a crescendo in all the staves; when it reaches the louder point, playback freezes and LoopBe mutes.

Does anyone happen to know why does this happen, and how can I solve it?

Oh, and, talking about the bug.

From some point to now (I sincerely do not remember from when), I'm not being able to change a staff name. I get into the Staff Setup menu, I change the names, and close. Then I realize the names didn't change!
I've tried restarting my computer, but the problem persists. :confused:

Thank you, in advance!

Best regards,
Robert

herbert 06-11-2011 09:15 AM

Re: LoopBe issue and Staff Setup bug

Hi Robert,

No need to apologise for posting your experiences and questions frequently. Your posts will keep the forum alive, but importantly will help others.

In relation to LoopBee, you should not have IN and OUT of a connection, connected at the same time, in order to avoid midi feedback. In my setup, I have all INs disabled (using LoopBe 30).

Using Staff Name in Staff – Setup, in the current version does not work for me. I have reported it. Clicking the staff setup button for a particular staff in your score will allow you to change the staff name.

Herbert

wolf2272 06-11-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbert (Post 15948)
In relation to LoopBee, you should not have IN and OUT of a connection, connected at the same time, in order to avoid midi feedback. In my setup, I have all INs disabled (using LoopBe 30).

I thought that was the setup I had, but I keep having the problem. Could you please tell me what am I doing wrong (or what am I missing)?
I have enabled these options (on Notation):

• "Is MIDI output device"
  • "Is default MIDI output device"
  • "Was previously the default MIDI output device"
And disabled this:
  • "Is MIDI input device"
On GPO I have enabled:
  • "LoopBe Internal MIDI(in)"
And I still use LoopBe1, so no setup there.

And thank you for your help with the Staff Setup problem, I can change the staves' names from each staff individually, while they fix this bug (given that you've already reported it also)!

herbert 06-12-2011 12:47 AM

Hi Robert,

From the menu bar select:
Setup – Midi devices configuration …
In the Midi Device Configuration window select:
Port – Select ports …
In the Select Port window deselect the LoopBe input port.

Herbert

wolf2272 06-12-2011 07:33 PM

Hi.

I have that setup already, but the problem keeps appearing...

Sherry C 06-13-2011 10:31 PM

Hi Wolf,

I think this is actually a LoopBe issue. I have the same problem sporadically (not all the time) if I'm using LoopBe, no matter what device is on the other end. I don't recall having the problem when I was using Maple MIDI cables. I typically resolve the problem just by right-clicking on the LoopBe icon and clicking the "Mute none" option. Playback typically picks right back up.

ttfn,
Sherry

NotationUser 06-17-2011 12:22 AM

Re: LoopBe issue...

LoopBe1 uses "feedback detection" that can not be disabled - as far as I remember... this checks for higher speed than classic midi (31.25 kBps) which can easily occur when data flows just inside a PC... I remember as well that this drove me nuts...

The payware LoopBe has an option to disable feedback detection...

...but my recommendation is trying free loopMidi from Tobias Erichsen
http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/Software.html

It is easy to use and all can be set up dynamically - no reboot on changes. You just need to install AppleBonjour services for PC which is free too and can be downloaded from Apple.

wolf2272 06-19-2011 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotationUser (Post 15956)
LoopBe1 uses "feedback detection" that can not be disabled - as far as I remember... this checks for higher speed than classic midi (31.25 kBps) which can easily occur when data flows just inside a PC... I remember as well that this drove me nuts...

The payware LoopBe has an option to disable feedback detection...

...but my recommendation is trying free loopMidi from Tobias Erichsen
http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/Software.html

It is easy to use and all can be set up dynamically - no reboot on changes. You just need to install AppleBonjour services for PC which is free too and can be downloaded from Apple.

That seems a good option to me.
I installed LoopMIDI, but I can't figure out how to make Composer to detect it (GPO already does). Apple Bonjour only looks for printers and I cannot move forward. Any advice, here?

Thanks!

Sherry C 06-21-2011 01:13 PM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf2272 (Post 15966)
That seems a good option to me.
I installed LoopMIDI, but I can't figure out how to make Composer to detect it (GPO already does).

Composer automatically detects the MIDI device (in this case LoopBe) when it is turned back on. The LoopBe will be called "Internal MIDI". If you install LoopBe while Composer is already on, then you can use Setup/MIDI Device Configuration/Config/Initialize to re-detect the available MIDI devices.

ttfn,
Sherry

wolf2272 07-01-2011 06:12 AM

Hi!

I hadn't been able to access to the internet in these past days, but these solutions have worked great for me.

Thank you!