Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Other (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2872)
-   -   Persistent Lyrics (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=34206)

rrayner 11-27-2017 01:03 AM

Persistent Lyrics

1 Attachment(s)
I'm working on a new Christmas duet. I usually start by keying in the lead line, the chords and the lyrics. Then, I continue by copying a number of measures of the Soprano part to the Alto part and change the pitches of the Alto part.

When I do this, logically the lyrics also copy. I then select the lyrics I just pasted in the Alto part. Normally, the lyrics delete okay. With this score, I have to select the lyrics and delete multiple times, until it eventually does as expected.

With the attached score, copy measures 13-16 of the Soprano part and paste them in the relative measures in the Alto part. Then select the lyrics in measures 13-16 in the Alto part and press the delete key. You might have to do this several times.

Guess what? The problem went away when I recycled Composer. So, I'll just post this as a "heads-up". Nothing worse than a problem that is not reproducible. I guess you'd have to give us a method for sending you a dump of an active, failing session, if it should happen again.

That might make a good suggestion - provide a button (in the Beta version only) for taking a dump at any given point for your investigation. That way, any anomaly could be captured.

Ralph Rayner

rrayner 12-19-2017 06:10 PM

Re: Persistent Lyrics

1 Attachment(s)
I'm shifting gears as I have another piece where the persistent lyric problem is repeatable across the save/open scenario, using 3.0.6-136.

I originally scored this with measures 5-9 including the lyrics for both times through the repeat - upper/lower voices for the different notes.

I didn't like this and decided to remove the repeats; copied measures 5-9 and pasted them beyond the original first ending. I had to clean up the lyrics in measures 15-19. I found that I couldn't simply do a select and delete to get rid of the extra lines like I normally would be able to.

I did find that if I select lyrics in measure 15-19 and press the delete key, nothing appears to happen, but if starting over again, I select (left click) a lyric and press delete and repeat this process three more times, the selected lyrics finally disappear.

Ralph Rayner

dj 12-20-2017 04:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi, Ralph:

I concur with you on this.

It takes several attempts to delete lyrics once they are entered (and the highlight colour is a different shade of yellow from what I've ever seen before, oddly). But also, those lyrics seem to come back after deletion.

Attached are three screen shots.

The first is what happens when I try to delete a lyric, then add a new one on top. Crunch.

The second is what happens when I select that lyric and move the newly entered lyric to a new verse (by pressing ENTER at the beginning of the word.)

The third is the result when clicking out of the lyric edit box. The old lyric remains in the first verse position and the new lyric is in the second verse place.

This is new behaviour with the new beta, as I did a lot of lyric editing with the older betas and had no problem in this area.

David

dj 01-18-2018 02:21 PM

Hi, Reinhold:

Following our conversation in the "Unable to delete sound change events" topic, I now can't make Composer misbehave regarding the "persistent lyrics".

That is, I can't make the behaviour described here happen again.

So, I'll keep an eye out for it, but I can't find a current instance of it.

David

rrayner 01-18-2018 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached is a snippet of the piece that was originally created on Beta 136. Using Beta 164, I copied 4 measures of it into a blank template. Then I added 4 measures; copied/pasted the first 4 measures into the second 4 measures.

With Beta 164, I could delete the lyrics in measures 5-8 by being insistent and selecting/deleting the lyrics until they were gone (I think 4 times).

With Beta 169, I could not delete the lyrics in measures 5-8 (tried 8 times with no success).

I hope this helps.

Keep in mind that today, I started with a piece which I had earlier (below) reported as having the problem. Perhaps that is contributing to the problem in the attached snippet.

Ralph Rayner

Reinhold H. 01-19-2018 01:04 PM

Ralph,
Thanks. This is what I am looking for. Became TaskID 3000.
Reinhold

Reinhold H. 01-24-2018 07:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ralph, David,

I analysed the file "Test.not" and to me it looks as if it is the same bug that is reported under "Unable to delete Sound Change events" here.
It should be corrected with build 3.0.6-169. However, impacted files need to be fixed manually. Please see att #1. Measure 1-4 required 16 times deleting, measure 5-8 deleting of 64 times.

In attachment#2 you ill find the fixed file.

We will run some more tests to be sure that the bug is 100% fixed. Please use the latest 3.0.6-176 which was released last Friday.

Reinhold

Reinhold H. 01-25-2018 06:28 AM

This issue is definitely fixed since build 3.0.6-169. Further tests in comparison with the faulty versions showed that the fix of Task 69 (from 09/24/2008) in 3.0.6-132 was the root cause.

The issue which was reported by Ralph was carried over from the faulty beta version with the saved .not file. It really needs to be fixed by hand deleting the lyrics multiple times (4, 16, 64..) based on how many copying happened. I am sorry that the incomplete fix of Task 69 caused this issue. However, Task 69 which was open for ~10 years is fixed now, finally. And, this issue clearly shows the value of the beta testing for us. :)
Thank you very much

Reinhold

dj 01-25-2018 01:58 PM

Thanks, Reinhold!

rrayner 01-26-2018 02:05 PM

Thank you for your thorough persistence, Reinhold! RRR