Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2006, 09:49 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default I have hesitated to post this

I have hesitated to post this for a while, for two reasons. The first is that the GM clarinet begins to squeak at C7. It almost sounds as if the player loses tone control at this point. The second is that when I jotted down themes for it, as much as 2-3 years ago, I failed to include a note as to their sources. Some--especially the first them in the second movement-- sound very familiar, but I can't place them; so I don't know if they are original, take-offs from an existing theme or that I had noted them down as sources of variations.

But regarding reason one, there is not much to do about the high notes and get the small file size offered by midi. Incidentally, after trying seven soundfonts, I chose the For Classic Music clarinet in the recording I made, even though it is a bit too mellow below C7.

Regarding the second reason, perhaps someone will recognize a theme and be able to tell me the source, so that I can either give credit or do some re-writing, i.e., theme changing.

The sonata actually started in the early 1980s, albeit in a very amorphous way. In a conversation with John Denman, I think I said something like, I was going to write something for clarinet one of these days when computers (PCs were fairly new in those days--I had a Vic) have note processors, just as they already had word processors, since my experience with writing some short pieces taught me that editing, re-copying innumerable times and finally coming up with a manuscript even I could read took far too much time to make it possible. Certainly, writing something for one of the best in the world on that instrument was more than one of those spur of the moment inspirations that dissipates over the years, and I continued to do some composing in my head and jot down ideas. Unfortunately, he died several years ago, and I really didn't feel like going on with the project for some time. Just about a month ago, however, I decided to try to put it all together and make the dedication 'to the memory of...'

This is where it is now.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>1st movement, moderato
Sonata for Clarinet and Piano 1st MV.mid (54.7 k)</td></tr></table></center>

<center><table border=1><tr><td>2nd movement, ballad, adagio
Sonata for Clarinet and Piano 2nd MV.mid (22.1 k)</td></tr></table></center>

<center><table border=1><tr><td>3rd movement, allegro molto
Sonata for Clarinet and Piano 3rd MV.mid (45.9 k)</td></tr></table></center>