Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products

Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products Find out from others, or share your experience, about integrating Notation Software products with sound libraries, audio processing software, and other hardware and software products.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Notation Composer and Mac users

Hi friends,

We've had a few different requests from Mac users, wondering if our products work on Macs. Notation Software can not test our products on Macs, simply because we don't have the resources to do that at present.

However, the good news is that we do have some Mac users (and growing!) who successfully use our products on Mac systems in conjunction with Parallels (www.parallels) and CrossOver (http://www.macwindows.com/crossover.html and http://www.codeweavers.com/) One Mac user reported problems when trying to use Parallels with Composer under SnowLeopard, but was able to successfully use Composer with Crossover.

If you have experience with using Notation Composer or Notation Musician on a Mac, please feel free to share your experience(s) and tips here for the general community.

Thanks!
Sherry
Old 12-04-2010, 10:16 AM
andy avenell

Default Re: Notation Composer and Mac users

Just thought I would drop a line and say I am one of the people who managed to get Notation Composer on a Mac to work. It is a bit long winded to open the prog but it does work.

In short, I found trying to get it to work using the online trial version, it bombed each time. As i am a long standing user-subscriber to the full version, using my full version did work.

As i say, its a bit of a route to use each time but it does work fully on my Mac using snowleopard 10.6

Just follow the route I told Sherry about, listed below, and it will work using full version.

all best
andy aka funnyfreddie
Old 12-29-2010, 04:03 AM
romolo

Dear Sherry. I have tried to install in my Mac Notation composer with Crossover. The process looks fine, but Notation apparently does not recognize the date, and for the trial can not determine the "install date", so it does not work. I have tried with composer and musician, but the same issue. Any tip? Any ideas from the forum participants? thanks!!
Old 12-29-2010, 04:27 AM
Product Manager

Hi,

I haven't a clue as to what the problem might be because we can't test things in a Mac environment - sorry about that. Perhaps others who have Macs can help out here?

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 12-29-2010, 10:01 AM
andy avenell

Where in the process does it ask for date? All what happens when I start mine is I start crossover, then from file, select open recent files which shows notation composer set up 252 set up exe and from there, it installs the prog each time from there. Bit long winded but it works.

Look at how you have it working in the crossover bottle. If you can supply more detail, may be able to help but it is a while now since I cracked it and sadly did not write down the process.

Only thing I can say that may help is when I trialled it with the online free version, it bombed each time. Loaded my paid for full version and it worked.

Are you using a fully paid up version for your trial? If not, buy it. I brought logic 9 and still use Notation as my weapon of choice. It works for me. Only issue I have with it is I can not unlock the midi setting so when I play back through my Roland jv1080, it does not send out the separate channels’, bass to bass, it only sends as one-general piano.

Midi is not my strong point but I have a friend who is up on it looking into that problem. Hope the above helps.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Rob W

What resources would you need to make a stable mac release? I have tried all 3 of the listed resources, (and it might just be my mac) but they make notation absolutely unusable. Sounds do not load, when putting notes on the bar line, they shift and run away from my pointer! I'd be willing to pay full price again for a mac release, even if it means waiting a couple years.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:55 AM
Product Manager

Hi,

It would take a Mac developer as well as testing capability for such a release, neither of which we have at this time. Sorry for the inconvenience...

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 04-07-2012, 10:38 PM
clem42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry C View Post
Hi friends,

We've had a few different requests from Mac users, wondering if our products work on Macs. Notation Software can not test our products on Macs, simply because we don't have the resources to do that at present.

However, the good news is that we do have some Mac users (and growing!) who successfully use our products on Mac systems in conjunction with Parallels (www.parallels) and CrossOver (http://www.macwindows.com/crossover.html and http://www.codeweavers.com/) One Mac user reported problems when trying to use Parallels with Composer under SnowLeopard, but was able to successfully use Composer with Crossover.

If you have experience with using Notation Composer or Notation Musician on a Mac, please feel free to share your experience(s) and tips here for the general community.

Thanks!
Sherry
on my mac osx I use bootcamp and xp and notation composer works perfectly. clem42
Old 11-13-2013, 10:32 AM
Active User

Notation Composer works on an iMac fine using the reFit dual-boot system.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:05 PM
Product Manager

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormproof1 View Post
Notation Composer works on an iMac fine using the reFit dual-boot system.
Thanks for sharing that bit of info. Is the reFit dual-boot system you mention the same as this one at SourceForge http://refit.sourceforge.net/

Have you had any experience with the reFind that is mentioned there? (http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/)

Even just the reFit gives Mac users another resource for running our (and other Windows) software - very nice!

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 11-14-2013, 08:41 AM
Active User

Yes it is the reFit you mention. I hadn't realised it was now unsupported, but it seems to do a good job of standing up by itself Having sorted it out, and feeling very pleased with myself, I realised that there's a native Mac app to do the same thing. I guess that's life.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:10 PM
Product Manager

Hi friends,

Because there have been some issues with installing from a removable drive (eg. memory stick or such), the installation file needs to be on the hard drive of the machine it will be installed on.

For Mac users this means having the installation file on the "Windows side" of your hard drive. If you're getting an error message that "An installation from a removeable drive is not possible", then this is probably the issue. Just put the installation file on the "Windows" side and all should be well.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 08-20-2014, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Hi all who use MACs and other PCs than Windows,

As you can imagine we continuously have demands to offer Notation Software on other operating systems than Windows. The demands are growing and for us such an offer is an opportunity.

In this thread as well as in that one, proposals were made what is the best way going forward. However, the only acceptable solution of today is based on third party software. The solutions is either to run a second bootable image using Parallels + Windows, VM Fusion + Windows, Virtualbox + Windows, somehow directly using Codeweavers or others. The key downside is that it costs additional money and/or is complicated to use for someone who is not familiar with those configurations. On our side we are only able to provide basic support for a Windows environment.

Based on the recommendations in this and this other thread we have started an investigation what feasible options we have to offer our software conveniently on other operating systems at low costs. I would like to share shortly the findings here. They are just a snapshot as of today (August 20th, 2014) but given the discussions in the past it might be interesting for some of you to know.

In a nutshell:
We used the free open source package WineHQ. WineHQ meanwhile became very powerful and offers Windows applications to work on Mac OS X, Linux, BSD and Solaris. We used Ubuntu-Linux and were able - with tweaks in the Notation Software - to get Composer 3 installed and running on Ubuntu using the WineHQ package. Clearly, there is still work to be done before we can offer a final solution (from coding, testing, beta test to ordering). But due to the powerful capabilities of WineHQ it is worth spending more investigation effort to see if we can offer a convenient and cheap solution to non-Windows users based on WineHQ.

Please see a screen shot of Composer 3 on Ubuntu-Linux below .

I am going to use this thread to keep you informed about our further directions.

Reinhold
Attached Images
File Type: png Composer_on_Ubuntu.png (273.5 KB, 84 views)
Old 09-03-2014, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Hi friends,

as stated in my last post I would like to share the progress on this subject further with you.

Our next step was to test whether the findings of Composer 3 on Ubuntu are reproduceable on other Linux distributions based on WineHQ.
YES, they are. We have now Composer 3 running on an off-the-shelf openSUSE 13.1 and tested playback and recording with a Yamaha keyboard PSR 910.
This again looks very promising. However, there is still a way to go. As you can see from the screen shot below where we have loaded Peter B.'s arrangement of The Fat Man. There are a few bugs in complex arrangements like Peter's when displaying ties, slurs or brackets.

Our next step is to achieve the same status on a Mac based on WineHQ. The outcome of this test will be the final proof point whether we are going to start a project in this direction.

Reinhold
Attached Images
File Type: png Composer_3_on_openSUSE.png (378.0 KB, 80 views)
Old 09-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Administrator

... and here comes Composer 3 on a MacBook Pro

But as mentioned earlier there are still software changes required for a full product launch. (For the time being the Paralles/VM Fusion + Windows works fine)

Reinhold
Attached Images
File Type: png Composer_3_on_Mac.png (246.7 KB, 77 views)
Old 09-09-2014, 01:29 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa

Looks good! Odd to see the familiar icon on a Mac desktop!

That will open up a whole new market for you (and a very strong one, given the Mac's historic dominance in music software.)

Congratulations.

David
Old 09-14-2014, 08:25 AM
Administrator

David, thanks.

We completed the investigation whether Composer and Musician 3 can be ported to a Mac using WineHQ.

The results are fantastic. The answer is a big YES.

Currently we dig into what is the fastest and most effective way to have a Mac version available. The ideas are that we could even create one software build which is able to run on Microsoft Windows and on Apple OS X simultaneously. Something like to have 'OS X + WineHQ' handled similar to just another operating system within the same software build. This would make all our lives very easy. The ordering would be the same and in particular we would be able to keep the same price. For a Mac customer the total price would be the same as for a Windows customer because WineHQ is for free.

As of now I won't make any statement or commitment by when such a software build is available but I can promise you that we do our best.

Reinhold
Old 09-25-2014, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Hi all,

meanwhile I changed the status from an "investigation" to a "project".

Further results are that it is possible to have the same software package 1:1 running on Windows and on MAC OS X (Mavericks and future versions).

This concept results in opportunities for customer and us (these are our ideas but not yet finally confirmed):

- a customer can decide whether to run the software on Windows or MAC OS X. No difference when a customer purchases.
- we plan to offer that any customer who purchased a 3.0.1 license for Windows can move this license to a MAC without any additional charge
- we can keep the same prices of the software for MACs
- because usually MAC software is more expensive than Windows software, this is a great opportunity for everybody
- we can use the same proven tools for software creation and delivery. It is mandatory that we do not have additional efforts other than testing.

As mentioned above, these are the ideas subject to be confirmed within the project.

So far we have not yet worked out a project plan, firstly I need to get my arms around those bugs shown in this thread when opening Peter B.'s arrangement of "The Fat Man".

Reinhold
Old 10-15-2014, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Hi,

A short update on our MAC tests:

Those red marked bugs from Peter B's Fat Man arrangement (see my former post) are fixed. In addition we have performed overall tests. So far only one display issue was found when opening the Page Setup dialog in Format menu that the shade behind the paper is not nicely dispalyed. This is a little confusing. All other tests went very fine including playing and recording with a Yamaha keyboard (import of device description, sound changes, playing etc). All access tests to the different file structure of the MAC OS X went fine. Composer is fully integraded as other MAC applications are. The software package is 1:1 identical to Windows.

After these findings I am very optimistic to release our products on MAC as part of the next correction version.

Reinhold
Old 10-25-2014, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Hi,

Short update:

We have significantly made progress to provide version 3 for MAC PCs. After some final testing we plan to start beta trials pretty soon.

Reinhold
Old 11-22-2014, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Composer 3 on OS X Yosemite

Reinhold
Attached Images
File Type: png test.png (225.8 KB, 49 views)
Old 11-28-2014, 03:32 AM
Administrator

Notation Composer 3.0.2 is Ready for Beta Testing on MAC

We have completed all tests and Notation Composer is ready for beta testing. We are looking for folks who are insterested in the beta version for a MAC. In the next days we compile a beta testing community - ideally experienced Composer users - who help us bringing Composer to a mature level on MAC. If someone wants to participate in this beta version verification testing, please let us know and apply by sending us an email to support@notation.com.

The beta version is limited in time for 90 days similar to a trial version but without any other restrictions. The beta version is available in English, German and soon in Spanish language. Folks who provide good help and feedback are going to receive a free full license afterwards similar to former releases.

MAC operating systems OS X Yosemite or Mavericks are required.

Reinhold
Old 10-03-2015, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Default Notation Software on Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11

Apple released the new OS X El Capitan 10.11 on Sept. 30th, 2015. We will release our software on Mac El Captian after we have completed our certification testing.

Reinhold
Old 10-13-2015, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Version 3.0.3 will be released for Mac OS X El Capitan as well. An update of WineHQ is required.

Reinhold
Attached Images
File Type: png Composer_on_Mac_El_Capitan.png (375.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 04-14-2016, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Default Composer, Musician, Player become Apple Mac apps

Please see the post in the Announcements section here.

Reinhold

Last edited by Reinhold H.; 04-15-2016 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Update 1
Old 09-18-2018, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Default Notation Software and mac OS Mojave

On Sept. 24th, 2018 Apple will launch mac OS Mojave.
We at Notation Software will certify our software on mac OS Mojave as part of the update 3.1.2 which is planned to be released in the 4th quarter of 2018.
In other words, please give us some time that we can certify our software on the new Mac OS.

Thanks

Reinhold
Old 11-27-2018, 09:57 AM
Administrator

We run tests on mac OS Mojave and it looks pretty OK. In our next update we have the full certification available for mac OS Mojave.

There is one new pop-up message which mac OS Mojave displays to the user once a month. Please see here.

Well, yes, our applications are 32-bit applications and they ARE optimized and certified for mac OS Mojave and run without any restriction and with high performance. Just ignore this monthly message from mac OS Mojave.

The next mac OS release after mac OS Mojave will not run on 32-bit Mac-PCs anymore and requires a replacement of such a 32-bit Mac-PC by a 64-bit Mac-PC.

So far we have been able to support Mac OS with Wine for Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave (6 versions) and we try to find a solution that a future version of Notation Software covers this wide range of Mac operating systems including older versions. However, the final solution in one year from now is not finally clear and it may require an upgrade which is not a free upgrade.

Reinhold