Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Active User

Default Composer and the Yamaha DSR 2000

I have connected my Yamaha DSR 2000 keyboard to my Vista laptop using a Logilink MIDI cable (which has itsa own driver) and, after a frustrating afternoon of trying to make the system work I feel that I am very close but
cannot figure what it is that I am doing wrong.
Very briefly this afternoon I managed to compose a few notes of rather unharmonious music but then lost it - but at least it indicated that it was possible.
The present situation is as follows:
In the "quick MIDI device setup" the playback device that has been recognised automatically is described as "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth". I guess that this refers to the soundcard in the computer, and it does play the "Test Playback" notes through the computer's speakers but not through the keyboard's speakers.
Under "Detect MIDI recording device" the USB MIDI cable is detected and the bright red light flashes when I play notes on the keyboard (and so does the bright green light above).
All of this seems to suggest that I am close to making the system work - but...
1/ While I am able (again) to record on the computer the notes that I play on the keyboard, this process starts with a long and rather unpleasant stuttering noise (a bit like random Morse code but much harsher) and I would like to know how to get rid of it.
2/ I am still unable to play MIDIs from the computer on the keyboard.

Vista's Control Panel folders do not offer some of the options suggested as possible solutions in your Help files but I have studied and tried to follow the relevant help pages as best I can to solve the problems. Have you any further suggestions please?

Regards,

Crochetty.