Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Active User

Default Re: MIDI Delay

Hi DJ and thanks for the prompt reponse. It's possible that I got ahead of myself a bit by reading advice for similar issues on this forum and that's why it I tried installing the LoopBe (I have since uninstalled it).

My goal for Notation Composor is very basic (I think) in that I just want it to help me create sheet music from playing on a MIDI keyboard. I am not concerned with high quality instrument sounds, as long as I can get a piano "noise", I'm okay. When I record as it is now, the delay creates a problem in how the notes/rests appear.

"If you're playing back through the same keyboard you're recording from, then you can test it by going to MIDI DEVICE QUICK SETUP (Setup menu), selecting the device your keyboard is connected to and clicking on TEST. If you hear sound, then your keyboard is receiving. Play a few notes on your keyboard and you should see the DETECT MIDI RECORDING DEVICE respond. At this point, we know your keyboard is set up properly."

In quick setup the only choice for MIDI Playback Device is: the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth and the only choice for the MIDI Recording Device is: MIDISport Uno In. When I click Test there are sounds and I can hear the notes (delayed) that I play on the keyboard. Notation Composer detects the device.

"Now, turn "LOCAL" off on your keyboard (if possible) in its MIDI setup, which means that it will only sound what it receives at its MIDI In, while still sending MIDI out. Run Composer, load a random file, click on the Staff Setup (Speaker icon) to the left of any staff (making sure that staff is set to play back to your keyboard's MIDI device) and try playing a few notes. You should hear sound from your keyboard with no discernable delay as the MIDI goes from your keyboard to Composer and directly back to your keyobard. Other than an old-fashioned IRQ problem (which shouldn't be possible anymore), I really can't see how there would be any delay there."

In following the above instruction, I am able to do everything as directed, but there is a delay.

"Either way, latency shouldn't really be a problem that is directly related to Midinotate Composer, as it, in itself, doesn't produce the sound, merely pass MIDI information to a sound-making device."

So at this point it seems like the problem should be the either the cable or a problem with the computer? Do you advise buying a new MIDI cable?

Thanks.