Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 05-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Active User

Default Merging midi files

Does anyone know how to merge two midi files into composer. I tried using select all (file 1) , cut and then paste into file 2. This worked as far as the cut and paste went but the pasted file took the attributes of the channels from file 1. I would have assumed that file 2 would have pasted its own attributes, including any changes to the instruments. What this means is that say you had a clarinet on channel 1 in File 1 and a trumpet on channel 1 in file 2. When pasted it appears that the file 2 trumpet disappears and the pasted file takes on the clarinet.

Any ideas?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:40 AM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Merging midi files

Hi,

There is currently not a "merge" type of functionality in Notation Composer.

If the instruments are different in the two different songs, but have the same number of staves, you can copy the first song, then use Edit/Paste Special/Insert new measures from clipboard. This will add in the measures from the first song into the second. You can then add in an Instrument Sound Change (using the Sound Changes tab) at the point where the new song starts.

If the songs have a different number of staves, then you'll probably want to paste the measures from the song with fewer staves into the one with the larger number of staves.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 05-29-2012, 02:02 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa

Hello, Horatio:

(I assume that Horatio must be Admiral Nelson's first name!)

It's rare that a midi file would use all 16 available channels per device, so if you use "qas" (Quick Add Staff) to get enough additional staves for the second midi file, then copy and paste the second file into the new staves, you can assign channels and instrument sounds as needed.

Be sure to use Ctrl-click and drag or Ctrl-click and Shift-click to select the area(s) you wish to paste the new data into.

Good luck.

David
Old 05-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Active User

Unhappy Re: Merging midi files

Tried copy/pasting several bars of one stave of one file into the other file after having created a new stave in the recipient file. Now an interesting problem has developed. ---- If I click on each note then I hear the sound of that note. However when I play back as normal the inserted notes do not sound. Have checked the graph over for volumes etc. and they are set to 127. Would be so much easier if Notation could write the applet to merge 2 files into one with an option to specify the start or end of the recipient file. Maybe Sheryl will put it on her wishlist. Anyway any ideas how to solve my problem mentioned above re performance.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:46 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa

Check the midi channel and device settings by clicking on the yellow "speaker" icon to the left of the tracks.

Odd that a note should sound when clicked on but not during playback. Have a look at the note velocities by clicking on the Note Velocity item in the main tool palette -- make sure the velocity is sufficient to sound.

It must be early in the morning here, because I can't think of any other cause for no sound.

Can you post the file in question and let us have a look at it?

David
Old 06-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Active User

Well, today deleted the old crteated staves and then built some new ones. This time i painstaikingly copied just a few bars at a time into the new staves and that seemed to work. I had previously checked all the availbale settings on the old staves, velocity, midi channel, graph-over channel setting etc. etc. Could not see anything wrong. So my assumption has to be that the copy/paste function is perhaps not as robust as it could be. I must be fair though it was the first time I had seen this problem in quite a few cut/paste operations.

Many thanks for the replies in this thread and i now consider the thread closed

Regds