Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy, Since I frequently g

Howdy,

Since I frequently get called on to play "meditative music" as a backdrop for various events at church, I do a lot of hymns either as guitar or whistle arrangements. I wanted to do something a little different this week, and as I've also picked up an inexpensive cello and have been hacking away in my spare time at attempting to learn it, I've been using some of Bach's cello sonatas (sonati? ;) ) lately for practicing. (I also try playing them on my bass.) I picked up a boatload of Bach files from Dave's Bach Site (http://www.jsbach.net/midi/index.html) and have found them very handy for practice.

I thought it would be a sort of neat twist to do one of them on my whistle (probably my low D) for communion this week, so I selected the prelude from Bach's 2nd cello sonata to re-arrange a bit for whistle. The arranging mostly took the form of simply shifting notes an octave one way or the other to accommodate the range of the whistle and/or my ability to get such notes out of the thing without squawking. I also transposed the notation to the key of D because that's the key I'm most familiar with easily reading when I play whistle (it's the "traditional" whistle key, with G and C closely following).

So, without further ado, here's the sheet music I came up with for the piece. The performance is a bit "stiff" as I haven't done anything with it (though I could in Composer), but it should work out nicely for my purposes. If anyone wants to play around with performance nuances, I'd love to hear what you come up with!

Enjoy!
Sherry

<center><table border=1><tr><td>Bach for whistle
CS2-1pre-arrangedForWhistle.not (65.3 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 07-15-2008, 05:49 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Sherry, Nicely done arra

Hi Sherry,

Nicely done arrangement. The accidentals intimidate me too much when I think of trying it out. There are some holes I can properly partially cover and others that just won't co-operate with my fingers, no matter how hard I try. Some of those are in here.

all best,
mgj
Old 07-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy MG, Yeah, I don't

Howdy MG,

Yeah, I don't typically care for accidentals either, but I sort of treat those notes as "slides", so that the piece actually ended up coming out as sort of a "Bach as an Irish air". And the half-holing is definitely easier on the big low whistle than on the standard high whistle - more latitude for finger movement - I mean, er, ah, interpretation, and all that

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 07-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Herbert WENDE (herbert)

Default Hi Sherry, “Sonatas” or “So

Hi Sherry,

“Sonatas” or “Sonati”? The Oxford Dictionary of Music uses Sonatas for plural.

J S Bach would have said “Sonate” for singular and “Sonaten” For the plural form. Sonata is Italian by origin, though the word may have been first used by French or German composers when Italian was the language in vogue among musicians. I have been told, that in Italian, an object ending on ”a” has the “a” changed to “e” to indicate the plural form.

Bach is easy to transcribe without much change to the original music. I also think that a somewhat mechanical interpretation of the music suits Bach’s music and other music of his time.

I have transcribed several Bach arias for Margaret. I am never given much time to do it. Attached are files of the well known Bach aria “Bist du bei mir” or “With you beside me”. Margaret sang it at church just before Easter this year. On this occasion, I did some research about the music for a short introductory announcement, to be given before the performance. It turned out that this is not music written by J S Bach. The music was found in a note book of Anna Magdalena Bach, dated 1725. Anna Magdalena was Bach’s wife, a very accomplished composer in her own right. The actual composer now is assumed to be a German composer of the name Gottfried Heinrich Stoelzel (1690 – 1749).

The .not file
<center><table border=1><tr><td>BistDuBeiMir.not
BistDuBeiMir.not (93.6 k)</td></tr></table></center>

The Gerritan .studio file
<center><table border=1><tr><td>BistDuBeiMir.studio
BistDuBeiMir.studio (28.8 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Best wishes,

Herbert
Old 07-22-2008, 01:30 AM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Herbert, Most lovely!

Howdy Herbert,

Most lovely! Thanks for sharing this file.

I also have a book of transcriptions for guitar from the Anna Magdalena Notebook. They are a bit simplified, which is what I needed There are some lovely pieces in it as well.

ttfn,
Sherry