Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > News and notes > Announcements

Announcements News from the Notation Software team

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 12:55 AM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Notation Composer and Mu

Hello Notation Composer and Musician Users,

If you are using Notation Composer or Musician version 2.0 through 2.4, you are encouraged to update to version 2.4.1. You can review the version number of Composer or Musician by using the About command in the Help menu.

Visit the following web page for a description of the feature enhancements and bug fixes in the various releases 2.0 up to 2.4.1 and for instructions for updating to the latest version 2.4.1:

http://notation.com/ComposerWebUpdate.php

or

http://notation.com/MusicianWebUpdate.php

IMPORTANT: If you are using Windows Vista and are using Notation Composer or Musician version 2.3, 2.3.1, 2.3.2, 2.3.3, or 2.4 then the Help / Software Updates / Install command will not work. Instead, run the following program that was installed with Composer or Musician on your system: \Program Files\Notation\Composer\wupdate.exe or \Program Files Notation\Musician\wupdate.exe

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 05-03-2008, 07:11 PM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Mark, I am getting frequ

Hi Mark,

I am getting frequent crashes in 2.41. Although I think the addresses aren't the same, they remind me of those in one of the versions of 2.3--2.3.2 it was, perhaps.

I can't give you a sequence of actions to create a reproduction, because the crash happens as I am doing various things. Fortunately, those things have been limited, and I can tell you pretty quickly what all of them were.

I am re-writing two solo violin parts in a file of about 3.5MB. 95% of it involves moving already existing notes up or down, by selecting them and using mostly Keypad plus and minus; very occasionally Shift Keypad plus or minus; in frequently changing note velocity; frequently using the scroll bar to look at the winds, then down to the strings, then back to the solo violins; infrequently shortening or lengthening a note with D Arrow; infrequently entering a new note, using the mouse; occasionally using Ctrl Z; playback of a few measures frequently, selecting a note and using Shift Space.

When Composer is re-started, after a crash, clicking Save As, navigating from \Songs to the sub sub directory where the file is located works as normal. However, the next time Save As is clicked, the directory is again \Songs, rather than the sub sub directory, as would be normal.

I started editing these staves in 2.33 and continued it in 2.4. In neither of those was there a crash. (Never a crash, at all, in either of those versions.)

That's about all I can tell you. Even though the value of auto-save has been amply demonstrated again, I really can get much done with all the crashes, so I would like to revert, temporarily, to 2.4. Since the update to 2.4 was done via the Web, I guess I would have to download the full version of 2.4. That would be no problem, but if there's an easier way, I am lazy enough to use it.

all best,
mgj
Old 05-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Michael Dodson (michael8648)

Default When I first installed 2.4 I w

When I first installed 2.4 I worked for several minutes. One of my keystrokes triggered a Windows exception. When Composer was closed Windows suggested a re-boot, which suggests Windows was still unstable. I re-booted the computer. I lost part of my work but recaptured part of that with Auto-Save-Recovery. I haven't experienced any crashes since. I think this was an install quirk and it finally got out of its own way.

-- Michael --
Old 05-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello MG and Michael, Thank

Hello MG and Michael,

Thanks for your reports.

MG, in light of Michael's report, I'm wondering whether a simple Windows reboot might cure the problems you're reporting.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 05-03-2008, 09:37 PM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Mark, I rebooted after t

Hi Mark,

I rebooted after the update was done. I also reboot at least once a day, usually more often. I haven't rebooted directly after each first crash of the day, but will try that.

all best,
mgj
Old 05-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Dave Freeman (davef44)

Default I've installed version 2.4

I've installed version 2.4.1 of Composer with no problems at all. I'm in a Windows Xp (SP2) environment.
I haven't yet done extensive editing since I installed the new version, but no crashes or any unusual behavior so far.

Dave Freeman
Old 05-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Tim Fatchen (flyingtadpole)

Default I'm in Windows XP (SP2

I'm in Windows XP (SP2). I installed over 2.2 (yes I know, but at the time I didn't dare step up to 2.3 in the middle of a major project and then other things got in the way...) 2.4.1 installed ok, I warm booted, then set up a new piece, played a bit with record on, then tried to save. I got an old message relative to being unable to save a .mid version of a totally different song which hadn't been loaded for the last three weeks (!) then the system hung.

I cold booted (full reset) and this time 2.4.1 has worked without effort or issues on my short test. And, the auto-recovery had saved the song so it wasn't lost (though it probably should have been ;)

So it would appear that the odd bit of detritus gets caught in the first run but the cold boot gets rid of it...?
Closed Thread