Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 04-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Senior User

Default Blank verses in lyrics

Sherry

I have been trying to create some SA + TB scores in a "hymn book" style with just one set of lyrics between the two staves. When I view or print the score there is a lot of white space between the lyrics and the TB stave. On investigating, I found there is a set of blank verse lines below the last verse which presumably is what is generating the extra white space.

So I edit the lyrics to delete the blank lines under the first word of the last verse, go along the lyric line to make sure there are no more extra blanks - and it makes no difference! When I re-edit the lyrics, the blanks have come back again. I just don't seem to be able to get rid of them.

I even tried exporting the lyrics to a Notepad file, deletying them and adding them back - and the blank verse lines re-appear.

It's just a bit of an annoynace as it means I cannot print as many systems as I might like on the same page and the lyrcis are quite a long way visually from the TB line.

Sample attached. Any clues?

Thanks
Tim
Attached Files
File Type: not Now that evening falls 2 staves.not (12.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 04-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Blank verses in lyrics

Hi Tim,

The spacing issue is not related to the extra "return" spacings that are sometimes present in copy/pasted in lyrics. It's an inherent spacing "buffer" that in this case is not wanted. In multi-staff compositions, standard engraving has a larger space between the bottom of lyrics and the next staff down. I'll write up a recommendation for an enhancement in the Vocal SA+TB template.

You can manually adjust the spacing between the bass clef and the bottom of the lyrics in the Layout tab. Click the Page Layout button (last one on the right), and then the "Move barlines and staves" button" (second on the left of the palette toolbar). You'll see some red "springs" on the left. With a left-click-drag of your mouse, grab the bottom square "handle" of that spring, and move it so that the bottom bass clef staff is positioned where you want it to be.

Hope this helps!
Sherry
Old 04-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Senior User

Sherry

As always, many thanks for your rapid reply and great patience in explaining something I should have been able to work out. It's another set of commands that I hadn't really used and so not understood but I now see that it can greatly improve the quality of some of my printing.

Tim
Old 04-25-2012, 04:00 PM
Product Manager

Hi Tim,

Glad I could help Notation Composer is a fairly feature-rich program, and while we've tried to design it so that it doesn't look like you need a pilot's license to work it, there are still some times where a bit of help is a good thing

For other Print Formatting helps and tips, you might find the Tutorial Video on that subject helpful. You can find that at http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3725

Enjoy!
Sherry
Old 04-26-2012, 02:16 AM
ClarkIt

Wow, it's a simple formatting error? I get those sometimes. Reminds me of issues I had with a Word doc. : (
Old 04-26-2012, 02:29 AM
Product Manager

Hi,

Not exactly an error, more like a "feature that is not wanted in this specific situation"

ttfn,
Sherry