Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Suggestions and feature requests

Suggestions and feature requests Make suggestions for improving any aspect of any Notation Software product, or for new features.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:57 AM
Active User

Default Export issue

When I export finished notation composer songs to get a saved MIDI version, the conversion process often drops the last measure of silence and rewrites the last note or two, changing my durations, resulting in the last note sounding clipped and slightly muted. This is a constant problem I've dealt with on old Notation Composer and the new 3 version I've just upgraded to.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:19 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa
Default Re: Export issue

Hi, Songsmith:

I can't say that I've ever run into this problem personally.

Could you post examples of a .mid file where this happened and the .not file it came from? Maybe we can find an explanation.

David
Old 03-11-2015, 02:00 AM
Active User

Here's an example, two files: (G.not) a notation composer file. And (G.MIDI) exported from the .not file. The final note on the .not file is a dotted quarter note with an eighth note tied over to the last measure. After conversion, the last note is just a quarter note. The dotted quarter is clipped, replaced so the last measure is empty. It sounds that way on windows media player. When I reopen the MIDI using notation composer, the final note has been clearly rewritten. I've attached files so you can see.

--Songsmith
Attached Files
File Type: not G.not (116.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: mid G.mid (10.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-11-2015, 07:37 AM
Active User

Another irritating issue with Notation Composer is that it hasn't been programmed to recognize sus2 chords. These get bracketed and every time you close, the program tells you "Evaluation of the score shows incongruities with the notation. The file has been saved but it is strongly recommended that you correct these entries in the score using the chord names tool." Well, an Ebsus2 is exactly that. Calling it a ninth will make the warnings stop, but you're inaccurately labeling the chord because a 9th chord contains the 7th, but the sus2 chord doesn't. Being told you're wrong when you're right, and the "chord names tool" is wrong, is highly annoying.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:03 AM
Administrator

The issue that the last measure is being discarded when exporting and re-importing this G.not song is equivalent to the bug here.
http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3477
This bug is resolved in the upcoming 3.0.2 correction version of Composer 3.

Regarding chord indications:
The goal of [...] marked chords is to give an indication to the user which types of chords Musician/Composer is able to handle in particular where the according sounds are available. All the chords for everyday musicians (our main customer focus) are all in place. Chords like the sus2 are very rare and currently not being part of the chord sound library of Composer.

However, I fully agree that even those chords like a sus2 which the customer uses on purpose should not "bother" with a fault message. Therefore, in 3.0.2 those bracets [...] are configurable and can be switched off in case the customer plans to use chords which are not part of the library. The solution is that this Enable/Disable chord verification is a Musician/Composer settings and is not saved on a per song base. I hope that this meets all needs.

Reinhold