Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:46 PM
Senior User

Default VIOLIN CONCERTO Andante Op64 MENDELSSOHN

This sounds quite realistic on my Roland SC88PRO sound canvas. It will sound better if you can include some vibrato on the solo violin of course. I'm not sure how to build vibrato rate depth and delay into my midi files easily. Do I need sysex?? If so perhaps best left alone but I'm open to suggestions. There is some reverb needed as well but this needs adding if you want it (true for most of my pieces) although I think I could put a few controllers in easily for that. I'll work on it. I imagine most folk will use some kind of mixer to get all the sounds they want so its perhaps best to keep things as simple as possible with the basic .not or .mid file. Again I would welcome suggestions here.

Martin
Attached Files
File Type: not VIOLIN CONCERTO Andante Op64 MENDELSSOHN.not (109.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-02-2016, 03:10 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: VIOLIN CONCERTO Andante Op64 MENDELSSOHN

Hi Martin,

Cool stuff! You're right that with a .mid file that you're looking to share broadly it's probably better to keep the effects fairly simple, and let people who will then use their own sound libraries tweak effects for their particular library. For instance, Garritan libraries make a bit of an unorthodox use of the Mod Wheel. Those same Mod wheel settings that make any Garritan library instrument come alive can make you think of fingernails on a chalkboard or time-warpish sounds with some other libraries or MIDI devices

Keep up the great work!
Sherry
Old 01-03-2016, 01:09 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa
Default Re: VIOLIN CONCERTO Andante Op64 MENDELSSOHN

Hi, Martin:

You can add vibrato and other performance elements using Composer's GraphOverNotes(TM) feature.

For things like vibrato (Midi CC 92), you can set a maximum level with the Midi CC value at the beginning of a track, then use the modulation wheel (Midi CC 1) to add as much or as little as you want, including building in delays, at the spots where you want it. And they can all be drawn graphically using GraphOverNotes(TM).

For General Midi use (including GS and XG playback), I'd think you'd be safe with that process. I don't use Garritan's libraries, myself, so I can't speak to Sherry's caveat about that.

Good luck.

David