Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 03-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Ron Marceau (ron321)

Default I am trying to add lyrics to m

I am trying to add lyrics to my fake book style melody notes for accompaniment to my singing. The melody is quite simple which is exactly what I want. I have tried the copy/paste method but the lyrics do not align with the notes, and at least for now I cannot handle whatever is required for alignment. I am now trying to add the lyrics word by word, and am having problems getting the hang of it. I will much appreciate your general thoughts on what is the easiest way to add lyrics? My experience in downloading midi files from the internet is that very few of my downloads include lyrics, even though the sites of the downloads do have the lyrics stated separately. Am I missing something in the way I have been downloading the midis? Will adding lyrics for nearly all of my songs be unavoidable?
Old 03-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Ron, There is a video

Howdy Ron,

There is a video in our "Tours" section that shows you how to add and adjust lyrics. (www.notation.com/Tour.htm)

Most MIDI files don't have lyrics, but if you can find a Karaoke version of your song (.kar filetype) that will have the lyrics.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 03-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Ron Marceau (ron321)

Default Thanks Sherry, but I have alre

Thanks Sherry, but I have already seen the video and read the User's Guide many times. I believe I will eventually manage to add lyrics one way or the other, maybe both. What would really help right now is some idea about what other users do--copy/past or word by word, or something else, and why. I just don't want to spend hours learning one method if there is an easier way to meet my goal of transcribing midis and ending up with sheet music that looks like a page from a fake book transposed into my key. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Ron, I don't know

Howdy Ron,

I don't know what other folks do, but since I'm a pretty fast typist, I usually find it easier to type in the lyrics myself rather than copy/paste them from text. That way I can put in all the melismas "-" myself and listen to the file as I go to make sure it's all lined up right.

Ymmv...

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 03-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Ron Marceau (ron321)

Default Thanks Sherry, that makes sens

Thanks Sherry, that makes sense to me and I won't bother my head about anything fancy.