Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Suggestions and feature requests

Suggestions and feature requests Make suggestions for improving any aspect of any Notation Software product, or for new features.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Senior User

Default Export as WAV/MP3

I am using Notation to create choir rehearsal files and can currently offer them to choir members as either Notation or MIDI files. However we do have a significant proportion of the choir who do not use computers and have therefore asked if I can provide the audio files on CD.

I am aware that there are MIDI to WAV/MP3 converters available: I don't have one currently and would be interested in any recommendations..........

But I am also interested to know if there are any plans to add WAV and/or MP3 as an Export option alongside MIDI, etc.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Export as WAV/MP3

Hi Tim,

We do plan to eventually include audio export options, but your choir members probably want audio now

One way you can do it is to use SynthFont (donation-ware currently 15 euros, www.synthfont.com) and use the "Play to file" option. This renders the .mid file to an audio file (you can render to a variety of audio formats) that you can burn to CD or use on mp3 players.

SynthFont is also nice in that you can use soundfonts with it to get better sound for your members. It will use the GS Wavetable by default (just like Composer) if you don't have any soundfonts available. But there are a lot of free ones that are really nice (check our page at http://www.notation.com/Articles-Soundfonts.htm for sources). Almost all the General MIDI (GM) soundfonts that I've found sound better than the GS Wavetable.

If you want to use these same sounds while using Composer, you can install a virtual MIDI cable to connect Composer to SynthFont. I use LoopBe1 (free at http://www.nerds.de/en/download.html).
1. Install LoopBe1,
2. run SynthFont,
3. then run Composer.
4. In Composer, select LoopBe1 as your playback device.
5. In SynthFont, click the "Activate Midi Input" button.

Now you'll hear the soundfont sounds when you use Composer

Enjoy
Sherry
Old 03-22-2010, 05:34 PM
Senior User

Sherry

As usual, a splendid and rapid reply: many thanks. I am just cutting my first CD courtesy of SynthFont, so hopefully this should keep the choir happy!

I haven't yet managed to get Composer to play through SynthFont but I guess I have missed a setting somewhere and that is not on my critical path.

One thing I have found is that if I try to add in SoundFonts from a range of sources, I then have to rebalance the volumes on the tracks. For example I found a nice violin sound but it seemed much louder than the other fonts I had loaded. Again I'm sure this will come in time.

Thanks again .. Tim
Old 03-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)

Hi Tim,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Mariott View Post
I haven't yet managed to get Composer to play through SynthFont but I guess I have missed a setting somewhere and that is not on my critical path.

One thing I have found is that if I try to add in SoundFonts from a range of sources, I then have to rebalance the volumes on the tracks. For example I found a nice violin sound but it seemed much louder than the other fonts I had loaded. Again I'm sure this will come in time.
Keys to getting SynthFont to be the sound source:

1. Have the LoopBe1 installed.
2. Turn SynthFont on first.
3. Then turn on Composer
4. Now in SynthFont, click the "Activate MIDI Input" button (order is important.)

Being able to hear the soundfonts while playing the song in Composer will definitely help in balancing out the various instruments. I, too, find that some soundfont sets have the instruments at different levels than others, so tweaking that during playback on the same device is crucial to good balance.

Enjoy!
Sherry