Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products

Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products Find out from others, or share your experience, about integrating Notation Software products with sound libraries, audio processing software, and other hardware and software products.

Old 08-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default I did an experiment, playing b

I did an experiment, playing back from Composer a song that had a mix of a couple of GPO tracks and a SB Live synth track. It kind of worked. That is, Audacity did record the mix of tracks. However, when I played back that recording in Audacity, the sound was extremely choppy. That happens even if I recorded only GPO tracks.

I suspect that this is an abuse of GPO, since GPO already has a fine save-as-audio feature. I was just hoping that maybe Audacity would provide a way that we could save recordings of mixed GPO and, say, soundfonts. (Sherry would like that, I'd bet.)

The problem may be that I just don't have the right recording settings in Audacity.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 08-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Mark, Actually, I can

Howdy Mark,

Actually, I can already record "mixed" Composer files - some of my songs on SoundClick are done that way, such as Beanfield Winter, which uses a soundfont as well as the GPO english horn I used my Creative Wave Studio that came with my sound card to do those, though. I haven't tried it with Audacity.

Something else you may want to try adjusting to avoid choppiness is the Asio4All driver settings. You can change the buffer size in the control panel, and see how that affects your recording. If you do find that changing it makes the recording better, then please share that finding And also, don't forget to change the settings in GPO to match!

Are we having fun yet? The more I learn about this stuff, the more I find that there is to learn, and then remember!

ttfn,
Sherry

Old 08-03-2005, 10:01 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Mark, Well here's

Howdy Mark,

Well here's a nice one for you - I can't record the mixed performance of Beanfield Winter with Audacity! When I check the "What you hear" option, it only records the soundfont, not the GPO performance! I also tried the other options without success, so I guess for my sound card for "mixed" performances, I'll have to stick with my Creative Wave Studio.

However, I did think of a couple of other things you might try to get the choppiness out of your recordings. Both Composer and Audacity are a bit "video intensive", which is nice for the visuals, but it taxes the CPU. Maybe try minimizing them whilst recording?

And, something else that I always do as a matter of habit when doing any recording is to turn off absolutely all non-essential tasks that are running, even my printer (all the "stuff" in the "ready" toolbar) since this stuff occasionally spikes the CPU when they check and see if any tasks are coming.

Curiouser and curiouser...
Sherry

Old 08-04-2005, 07:29 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hello all, I started using

Hello all,

I started using Audacity about 3 years ago for the purpose of recording the many tapes I have in order to put them on CD. I wasn't satisfied completely with the removal of clicks and hiss and the ability to compensate for treble loss, so I began to look at the other things available. Finally, I came up with two, both of which are for sale, but quite reasonable. Total Recorder Standard ( http://www.highcriteria.com )which was $11.95, and Acoustica ( http://www.acondigital.com ) which was $24. They both work for what I wanted them for, including making CDs of my own compositions by recording midis and saving them as .wav or another sound format. But they also have advanced options. Acoustica will let you select which sound card you want to use and Total Recorder analyzes what you are recording and recommends the optimum recording level. As I recall, their web sites contain pretty complete descriptions of the products.

all best,
mgj
Old 08-04-2005, 02:42 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy M.G., Those programs

Howdy M.G.,

Those programs are quite reasonably priced - thanks for sharing your experience! Perhaps you could write up a small blurb and put it (or them)in their own topic under the "third party software" or "saving to wav or mp3" sections.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 08-09-2005, 03:27 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Guys, Happy day! I fi

Howdy Guys,

Happy day! I figured out why Audacity wasn't capturing my GPO performance - I didn't have the "What you Hear" setting checked in my sound card settings. Now Audacity is capturing everything just fine! I didn't hear any glitches, but I didn't have many instruments running together. I'll have to further test it with more instruments going.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 08-09-2005, 04:46 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hi Sherry, This sounds very

Hi Sherry,

This sounds very promising, that Audacity is able to record a GPO performance without any glitches. Although GPO offers its own option for saving the playback as a .wav file, it suggests that Audacity is well-implemented if it can also save the playback without glitches.

Have you tried recording a mix of GPO and non-GPO instruments with Audacity?

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 08-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Mark, Yes, yes, yes!

Howdy Mark,

Yes, yes, yes! I just recorded Beanfield Winter using Audacity, and it worked flawlessly. But that's only two tracks. I have yet to try it out with your Space Adventure piece, and adding some laser beam fights and such with some of my soundfonts I'll give it a try later and let you know what happens.

ttfn,
Sherry

Old 08-09-2005, 06:09 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hi Sherry, This is really g

Hi Sherry,

This is really good news!

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 08-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Mark, I just added a

Howdy Mark,

I just added a track to your Stars 20 file, and recorded a nice sinister laugh into it, using a soundfont. Then, I played back this file and recorded it flawlessly with Audacity. Sweet! It did come near to maxing out my CPU, and that was with all other processes off. I always turn off the printer in the tray, my antivirus software, etc. I turn them all off when I record, because even if they aren't actively running, they still "check" occasionally for a "call for service", which can eat up precious CPU and cause glitches.

I'll send you an mp3 of the recording in an email so you can hear it. I'll also send you the Audacity file so you can check it out if you want. Sorry to desecrate your nice composition so, but I needed to use something that would show up obviously in the mix, and the laugh fit the bill

ttfn,
Sherry