Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2005, 08:24 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default This symphony came about via a

This symphony came about via a piano concerto, which has itself been installed in Limbo to await my decision whether to shove it overside or save it. One of the themes in the first movement of the concerto sounded familiar, so I mentally went over about every composition I'd ever heard. When I couldn't come up with a match, I tried listening to the concerto theme in various ways, and when I slowed it down I thought it resembled "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear."

It happened to be September of 2004. I had thought I would do something for Christmas and make a CD to send to family and close friends, but hadn't thought about the project for a while. The "Midnight Clear" resemblence brought it back to mind, and I began going over what I might do--a new setting of a carol, perhaps, or an overture, using some seasonal thematic material, or maybe a set of variations of "Midnight Clear." Somewhere along the way I wondered, idly, why no one had ever used the rich melodic pool of Christmas music in an extended symphonic work. It seemed like a not completely untoward idea, so I got to work.

There were only a couple of months left to do the work, so I concentrated on the sound, paying little attention to how it would look, if printed, or even if it could be played by an actual orchestra. Of course I fully intended to keep working on it, but didn't take it up again until October this year. It's still a distance from being ready for prime time, but I have taken care of a lot of the problems. There are still more (like scarcely any dynamic indications and none of the phrasing which would be crucial in a real performance), so perhaps I will trot it out each year until it's really finished.

The first movement needs considerable work on the rhythm, but that shouldn't be too audible, perhaps. The second, which should start after a normal pause, includes a saxophone as soloist in, I think, the third variation. The third is part standard waltz and part scherzo (maybe the waltz sections are something like trios). The fourth movement should start immediately after the third. Next year, I will put the two movements in the same file--for now I just load them both into Windows Media Player.

In next year's session, I will also, finally, get around to adding the choral, soprano, tenor and bass parts. I wish I knew enough about Japanese to have that carol from the third movement sung in that language. Maybe I'll take a shot at it, anyhow.

But that's for next year. For now, happy holidays to all.

mgj

<center><table border=1><tr><td>1st movement
Symphony 2 (85.7 k)</td></tr></table></center>
<center><table border=1><tr><td>2nd movement
Symphony 2 (35.1 k)</td></tr></table></center>
<center><table border=1><tr><td>3rd movement
Symphony 2 (83.9 k)</td></tr></table></center>
<center><table border=1><tr><td>4th movement
Symphony 2 (89.1 k)</td></tr></table></center>