Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products

Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products Find out from others, or share your experience, about integrating Notation Software products with sound libraries, audio processing software, and other hardware and software products.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2006, 01:23 PM
John Smith (johnsmi)

Default This post is regarding templat

This post is regarding templates of both MNC and GPO.

As I see it…

Both GPO and MNC support templates to enable speedy set-up of a new composition. GPO to set the patches for the instruments and MNC to connect patches to appropriate staves. The snag (if snag it be) is that these templates know nothing about each other and so one of them has to be adjusted to suit the other. Of course it is possible to start from scratch and set up a GPO collection of patches and then create an MNC score to accommodate it but it amounts to the same thing I think. Either way a lot of work can be saved by using templates – and even more could be saved if they already agree on the set-up. As the moment (for example) we could load up a GPO full orchestra template – then load up an MNC one and even though much of the work is done for us I think we’d still have to make substantial changes and adjustments. eg to get the channel numbers to agree and also the VST player ID’s to correspond with the correct one in MNC. Having said that, this newly adjusted MNC template can them be saved as a new template, so it could be used another time.

Phew – all this long winded description – but to get to my point. Would it be possible (desirable even) to have an MNC feature that can read a GPO template and generate a fully functioning MNC template tailored to match the GPO one? I’ve taken a look inside a GPO template and it seems to be – how shall I say – XML rich 8-) .
So hopefully it is well defined and even more hopefully, stable.

AFAIK no other notation program offers such a feature as “template matching generation” – could this be a good sales feature? Thinking about it, as GPO is not the only sound library, maybe gen, templates for other libraries too – provided GPO is done first of course .

Be very interested in fellow MNC’ers thoughts on this aspect of matching templates pairs or indeed any other aspects of MNC template usage.

As a closing thought, if the above is implemented - how might this change again (if at all) when MNC supports VST?

Regards
-John S.