Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2013, 02:27 AM
Active User

Default Re: Composer 2.6.3 Crashing on Play

Sherry,

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't able to do exactly as you said as I kept getting errors but I managed to export to XML, import it into a different program, export as midi and reimport. That route for some reason added in additional rests periodically throughout the piece (mayhaps because of the other program I was using -- MuseScore) but it was better than having the program constantly crashing on me. If you're interested here are some of the errors I saw when trying to export to midi:

* Internal Program Error: c0000005 address: 98be85
* Command is unexpectedly complex (C:\NSver2.6\NOTATE\EnSnd.cpp:316)
* A temp file was created and not cleaned up in the output folder. Attempting to export multiple times leaves multiple temp files in the folder.
* Attempting to bypass the "unexpectedly complex" error I tried deleting all but the first measure but I still got the error. After the error occurs I can no longer delete staves: Command is unexpectedly complex (C:\NSver2.6\NOTATE\Location.cpp:51)

Or something like that. I had a few different .not variants I was trying and I'd get either the internal error or the complexity error. Anyway, you mitigated the original problem. Thanks!

Composer is a handy program for sure, and I really want to like it. It's got a clean interface that isn't klunky to use compared with others I've seen. However, the random bugs I run into ruin the fun. :/

I don't know if someone else has pointed this out yet or not but when combining two measures tied notes are broken. Or rather, they are no longer tied:

1. Create a new song with 5 or so measures.
2. Change the time signature of the second measure to 1/4. Change the third measure back to 4/4. (The last measure in the song is converted to 3/4 to account for the oddball 1/4 measure.)
3. Add a whole note in the second measure. It will span 4 measures. Err... wait a second that's ANOTHER bug. It should end right before the 4th beat in the 3rd measure. (The piano roll appears to be right but there's a misconnect between that and the notation.) Anyway moving on...
4. Combine the second and third measures by clicking on the barline separating the two and pressing the delete button. The second measure is now 5/4 time as expected but the tie with the following measure has been deleted, leaving two audible notes instead of one. (Note that this bug occurs for any note duration as long as it ties to the measure after the ones you're merging.)

Example ready for step 4: combine_2_3_breaks_tie.not