Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products

Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products Find out from others, or share your experience, about integrating Notation Software products with sound libraries, audio processing software, and other hardware and software products.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:30 PM
Active User

Default Midi clocks

Hello all,

I am having trouble with synchronizing composer (master) with an external sequencer (slave).

I have connected the PC to the external hardware sequencer (Yamaha QY100) using a usb midi interface (Yamaha UX16). The drivers of the interface are installed and Notation composer is now using QY100 voices for playback (playback works great).

My problem is that when I set the QY100 as Composer's slave, composer is not sending midi clock messages: i.e when the playback in composer moves from measure 1 to 2, composer is not instructing QY100 to move from measure 1 to 2 so all recorded notes in QY100 are placed in Measure 1 beat 1.

There are only 3 settings for this available on QY:
- Midi Sync is set to external meaning QY100 is controlled by external midi device (composer)
- Midi control is set to IN.
- Echo back is off as there is no Midi Thru in the setup.

If any body has experience with using Composer together with an external hardware midi recorder/sequencer, could you please share your experience and how this problem of mine can be resolved?

Many thanks,
Nima
Old 10-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Senior User

Question Re: Midi clocks

My best guess for now is this is an experts question to Mark...

I don't know about midi clock, but I would say Composer should be able to sent realtime clock - if not this is probably a feature worth considering.

External synths usually can sync on midi clock for things like tempo synced lfo's, arpeggiators or step sequencers and alike - so that's not only important for hw slave sequencers.

Probably the sequencer also needs midi realtime start / stop commands to notice midi clock and Composer does not sent these with pressing start/stop buttons.

I am not sure if Notation Composer can control jumps in slave devices as I guess this would need midi time code and/or song position pointers support to sync that.

I am curious too. If I can find out more I'll tell you.

Last edited by NotationUser; 10-28-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Midi clocks

Hi,

Composer does not currently have a MIDI clock feature, but it is on the "wish list" for future development.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 10-31-2010, 06:50 AM
Active User

Default Re: Midi clock

Hello,

Thank you very much for your responses.

I tried to 'temporarily' overcome this challenge through recording to QY100 the playback of Composer while metronome of both tools ticking at almost identical time and then fine tuning the result on QY100 to exact measures and beats using its 'Quantize job'. Naturally this method may not be applicable to MIDI performances with more complicated note timings, therefore there will be a need for a MIDI clock from PC side (ideally composer), which brings me to the below:

- Any idea on when Composer will have a MIDI clock?
- If Composer will not be having a MIDI clock any time soon, do you know of another sofware with MIDI clock that can act as a MIDI master, can import and playback MIDI files?
- As the QY100 can 'load' .SMF files, perhaps Composer can export to this format (but then I will need to figure out a way to transfer SMF from PC to QY100). Or maybe there is a third party software that can import MIDI and export to SMF?

Thank you,
Nima
Old 10-31-2010, 09:05 AM
Senior User

Cool Re: Midi clocks

I don't know about your device but can't you transfer midi files directly into it via a storage medium like SD card or similar procedures?

One application I know about that claims to support both midi clock slave and master functions referring to the feature descriptions is Topten Software's Cantabile Performer http://www.cantabilesoftware.com/features/ . It's basically a performance software that hosts VST instruments and effects and has basic media player functionality for both midi and audio.

However I personally haven't tested this for the clock feature you need so you should check out the 30-days trial version carefully before considering to purchase it. Only the full, more expensive "performer" version is listed to support midi clock. Also I am a big fan of this software I admit it lately lacks a bit of support by the developer. But it's to be expected that this will change.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:54 AM
Active User

Default Re: Midi clock

Thank you for the link to cantabile. Will check this out.

'can't you transfer midi files directly into it via a storage medium like SD card or similar procedures?'

Well QY100 does't read MIDI files but reads from and writes to SMF files. Moreover the srotage medium is Smart Media card so I will need to find a Smart Media card reader/adaptor for the PC. But then again, I will need to find a way to convert MIDI for SMF.

Thank you for the support.

Nima
Old 10-31-2010, 10:51 AM
Senior User

Cool Re: Midi clocks

"SMF" means standard midi file... probably it's worth checking out if you can simply change the file extention of a midi file, put that on a SD card and load that into your HW device...

If that does not work it's probably a better more hassle free way really looking into converters from *.mid to *.smf if there are really any incompatibilities here. But my suspicion is that this transfer probably works ...

Not sure about SM cards, that's indeed a somewhat dated medium, but I think most inexpensive multi card readers can handle that.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:41 AM
Product Manager

Howdy,

And don't forget there are two types of SMF - Type0 and Type1. Notation products will export Type 1 MIDI files. If you need a Type 0, there are a couple of free converters that you can use to change them - GN MIDI (which does a lot more, but is a bit of a "geek" interface, www.gnmidi.com) is a good one.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 10-31-2010, 01:51 PM
Active User

Thank you. The HW oops QY loads SMF (Format 0). Alas, it is going to be along process then: Export to Midi 1, Convert to Midi 0, convert to SMF 0. But, well, this could be 'the' solution.

Any ideas on when the Midi clock feature will be added?
Old 10-31-2010, 05:21 PM
Product Manager

Hi,

You may want to see if there are any updates for your QY - a number of manufacturers have updated their software to allow for Type 1 and Type 0 files. It is also on the "to do" list to have Type 0 export, but I can't give you a timeline on that or on the MIDI clock. Well, I could give you a date, but I'd really just be lying to sound good

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 03-12-2015, 06:11 PM
Active User

Sorry to awaken an old thread, but just wondering if there is any likelyhood of getting Composer to send a midi clock. Clearly it has a clock internally for managing tempo, so transmitting it should not be too big a task.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-30-2015, 01:15 AM
Product Manager

Hi Mike,

No timeline for including MIDI clock at this point. We have lots of other goodies coming 'round, though

ttfn,
Sherry