Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share news about music

Share news about music Do you have some news about music that you'd like to share with others? Here's the place.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Lewis Aquilina

Default I simply cannot understand she

I simply cannot understand sheet music and wanted to download software which would show me how to play MIDI's using simple notation, i.e. c, d, e, f, g, a, b. I found it very difficult and frustrating to find the results I was looking for as I searched Google using terms such as 'Midi notation' or 'convert sheet music to notation'. After hours of browsing and then installing several programs only to uninstall them straight after, I learnt that notation is in fact sheet music - or atleast thats what I think because every time I search 'notation' on Google, the results always mentioned the software could display this 'notation' (as opposed to sheet music) which when I installed it turned out to be sheet music. Dang.

So, I suppose there are no programs out there which when you load a MIDI file the program shows you ONLY HOW TO PLAY IT in a way which doesn't involve sheet music, i.e. tabs.

I eventually came across MidiNotate and discovered it uses what is known as a 'virtual keyboard'. As I discovered, not many MIDI programs use this feature - just this and MagicScore as I'm aware of.

It would be great if anyone can recommend me a program which shows people how to play the music from the MIDI so that I can play it on my keyboard (Yamaha PSR-295) which DOES NOT involve sheet music - I understand piano rolling and virtual keyboards and tab-like notes, i.e c, d, e, etc, just not sheet music.

P.s If sheet music is the same as notation, what is c, d ,e, f, g, a, b known as (from a keyboard)?