Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-16-2011, 04:33 PM

Default The Heather on the Hill

"The Heather on the Hill" was written by Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Lowe in 1947 for the Broadway Musical, "Brigadoon". This arrangement was written in March of 1963 for full orchestra and soprano and tenor soloists for performance at the Cherry Blossom Festival concert on the Mall in Washington, DC in April of 1963. It was the second arrangement I did for the USAF Band; it was the first time I'd ever written for solo voices.

I tried using the "Ah Chorus" sound for the singers, but it came out sounding too much like an organ. There are many things I would write differently today, but my intent was simply to capture another one of my previously written pieces in Composer, so it is mostly unchanged. There are two parts that I still think came out good: the lively jig in the intro -- rather fast, but exciting; and the french horn background in measures 60-65.

I had to leave out the drum rolls that I had written. All I could get was a rachet sound; and the timpani rolls have been left out.

At any rate, for what's it's worth, here it is. Hopefully, someone will get some benefit from it.

Ralph Rayner
Attached Files
File Type: not Heather on the Hill, The.not (391.4 KB, 29 views)