Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:45 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default This is an arrangement of "

This is an arrangement of "I'll Be Seeing You," which was written in 1938, just in time to become one of the great WWII songs. I have this several times on tape or CD, and the vocalist is most often male. But as a WWII song, a female is probably more appropriate. The first part of the melody comes from Mahler's Third Symphony, last movement.

The instrument collection is My_Own, which includes Real Voice in place of the Synth Voice. I tried assigning MS Wavetable GS Synth as the device, and it changes the overall sound considerably.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>I'll Be Seeing You
I'll Be Seeing You Arrangement dec 8 07.mid (76.9 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 12-14-2007, 10:59 AM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy MG, I wasn't arou

Howdy MG,

I wasn't around for that time period, but I am familiar with a number of the tunes from a project that I did for my aunts and uncles a couple years ago. I think you're right that in the original context, a female vocalist is more appropriate, but it's a great song for anyone who's missing someone as it's certainly true - thanks for including the lyrics, for those of us who are a bit hazy on them

I'd love to hear a recording of this with your setup. I tried using both Musica Theoria and Chaos soundfonts, but the balance was a bit out of whack. I did fiddle with it a bit, but still can't be sure that I hit the mark. I know from your other compositions that you weave melodies and instruments around each other a lot, and I'd hate to be missing that aspect of your arrangement

Thanks for sharing!
Sherry
Old 12-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Djim Tio (djimtio)

Default Hi MG I have been listening t

Hi MG
I have been listening to your beatiful arrangement.Like Sherry I tried out some soundfonts ( Merlin Vienna and My Own )and Synthfont through my HD headphones rather than my monitors.I would also like to hear your final recording.At this moment I am enjoing your piece by just playing it in BIAB, and seeing both the chord sequences and the lyrics all together.
Also thanks for sharing
Regards
Djim
Old 12-15-2007, 12:11 AM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Djim, Were you truly

Howdy Djim,

Were you truly playing this in BIAB? Inquiring minds want to know... I have BIAB, but in my hands it would hash MG's charismatic rendition

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 12-15-2007, 03:48 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Shery and Djim, I tried

Hi Shery and Djim,

I tried this with a couple of instrument collections to which I had added Real Voice. I found that with each one I had to tinker with volume settings (the master volume in staff setup). It was fairly easy to do by adjusting each instrument in the passage where it is featured so that it sounds, well, featured. I settled on My_Own mostly because it was the last one I tried (and it does have Real Voice in place of Synth Voice).

I found out today that the song had its copyright renewed in 1966, so it won't be in the public domain for quite a few years yet. This precludes putting it up on SoundClick, as far as I know. I had it in mind to arrange a couple of other things, but I'll be checking to see if they were written prior to 1923 before I put in the work.

BIAB sounds like something interesting, but I haven't the faintest idea what it might be. Speaking of inquiring minds . . .

all best,
mgj
Old 12-15-2007, 12:08 PM
Djim Tio (djimtio)

Default Hi Sherry and MG Playing MG´s

Hi Sherry and MG
Playing MG´s piece through Band in a Box( with default GM2 sf) does not render fully it´s qualities ( less definition on some instruments )but gives me the opportunity to to see how the chord progressions were build,read the lyrics and hear the music, a sort of three dimensional experience -
With Merlin Vienna sf ( and Real Voice )and adjusting volume settings (Synthfont )to my ears,and after recording to MP3 (320 bps ) is a quite different experience though.
I use BIAB to commit sacrilege some times ( like Mozart´s Elvira Madigan
in a jazzy bossa swing feel with real Drums for instance ) or to figure out chords and chord progressions in rather complex jazz pieces.
BTW, there is an interresting BIAB update available with some " real "
instruments added to play around witt.Meanwhile,keep the good songs coming MG !
Regards
Djim
Old 12-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Djim, Ah, I see. I&#

Howdy Djim,

Ah, I see. I've done the same with Biab(*), but (not unexpectedly) prefer to use Composer for analyzing the music myself. I've also found in using Biab versus Composer to transcribe .mid files that the chord names that Biab uses lean more towards "jazz" type chording (not surprisingly), which is definitely fun for learning and stretching my playing, but not necessarily faithful to the original in all respects I did see the notice about the "real drums" for Biab, but since I'm able to use soundfonts with my sound card, and I have some pretty decent ones that I've found for free, I haven't felt compelled to check out the "real drums" that Biab is touting.

In any event, I have been enjoying MG's piece. I'm with Djim - keep 'em coming!

ttfn,
Sherry

(* "Biab" is the acronym for Band in a Box, a software program that allows you to enter chord names, and it gives you an arrangement with those chord progressions based on a "style" that you choose, such as various swing, jazz, gospel, rock, etc. variations. It doesn't allow you to edit the score for keeps, though, as it "refreshes" the arrangement each time you play it It also will read a .mid file and then render those chord progressions in the "style" that you choose. I think this latter feature is the sacrilege that Djim referred to )
Old 12-15-2007, 02:02 PM
Djim Tio (djimtio)

Default Hi Sherry Of course Composer

Hi Sherry
Of course Composer if far superior for serious editing,transposing and
composing.After editing basslines using a third party software ( with on board virtual bass/guitar fretboard to "play " on with my mouse )I always use Composer to " refine" (changing note duration,insert rests etc.).
BIAB is just for fooling around,indeed.
Cheers
Djim
Old 12-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Djim, One of the init

Howdy Djim,

One of the initial things I bought Biab for was (1) to help me cheat with getting out fast compositions and (2) to work on walking bass lines. I do enjoy it immensely for those reasons. One of the things that drove me nuts about it (that it "refreshes" or changes the exact playing of the song each time you play the file) has actually helped me to better understand improvising over chord changes. By generating a song in Biab, and then saving some of the multiple ways it would play a song each time it would play, it's helped me learn how to use various turnarounds, transitions, etc. to enhance my improvisation. So it's a very good tool for various things. To compare those variations directly I used Composer, so I could copy the bass lines from each iteration, and then compare them directly in a single file to see how different transitions were done over the same changes. That's a small part of what makes Composer fun for me

Of course I could much better do that just by watching MG's work - he's a master at arranging

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 12-15-2007, 02:48 PM
Djim Tio (djimtio)

Default Hi Sherry Some people like MG

Hi Sherry
Some people like MG do already have a BIAB in their minds.
Cheers
Djim