Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > News and notes > Announcements

Announcements News from the Notation Software team

Old 12-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default The Musician and Composer beta

The Musician and Composer beta version 1.9.15 expires today on December 6. Version 1.9.15A has been released at www.notation.com/MidiNotateBetaRelease.htm to extend the beta trial period to December 19.

It will be necessary for you to download and re-install the entire Musician or Composer beta release via the 5.4Mb setup file. No patch is available.

I'm betting that this is the very last time I'll have to extend the beta trial period. It has already happened too many times. It's so embarrassing. However, compare this to Microsoft Vista. I spent less than a year updating version 1.1 to version 2.0. That's one person-year, less time I spent doing other work here. Microsoft spent 5 years of 2000 programmers' time, for a total of 10,000 people-years, to update XP to Vista. Is the upgrade from XP to Vista worth 10,000 as much as the upgrade from from Composer 1.1 to 2.0?

Well, yes. Microsoft is going to make a whole lot more than 10,000 as many dollars on the upgrade as I will. But I had more fun doing this than most of the 2000 programmers at Microsoft did.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 12-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default There was a serious bug in 1.9

There was a serious bug in 1.9.15A: playback stopped after the first beat. This is now fixed in version 1.9.15B at www.notation.com/MidiNotateBetaRelease.htm

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 12-07-2006, 12:33 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Mark, Got and installed

Hi Mark,

Got and installed 1915B, then re-started the computer. Opening it produced the message the it had expired. Now what?

best,
mgj
Old 12-07-2006, 06:31 AM
Herbert WENDE (herbert)

Default Hi mgj After a short break

Hi mgj

After a short break with Composer, I started some work again yesterday evening Eastern Australian Time. Right in the middle of using Composer, Composer expired. Very sad ...

There was no new update at that time. So I changed the system date of my computer temporarily and was back in business with Composer.

I have just tried the latest version now available and had your experience. Changing the system date of my computer helped again.

Best wishes,

Herbert
Old 12-07-2006, 07:18 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Herbert, I was in the mi

Hi Herbert,

I was in the middle of something, too. I never thought of changing the computer date, but fortunately, it was a short file and I had saved it, also, in the 1.x format, and it is one of those that would open in 1.17.

What did you change the date to in order to get 1915B to install without the expired notice?

all best,
mgj
Old 12-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Herbert WENDE (herbert)

Default Hi mgj 4-Dec-2006, two da

Hi mgj

4-Dec-2006, two days before expiration.

Best wishes,

Herbert

PS I hope Mark does not mind
Old 12-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Bernie Ackerman (bernie9)

Default Hi Mark I just wanted to repo

Hi Mark
I just wanted to report that 1915B has solved all previous problems. Eventhough 1915A didn't work at the gig,I had alternate ways of playing.

I want to thank you for your immediate response nonetheless. No other developer is going to bother. All's well that ends well.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:47 PM
hervé GILLES (hervich)

Default Ok The best solution actually

Ok The best solution actually (for me) is also changing the computer date or... using 1.17. I noted that the problem to apply a first page which other number that n°1 (when you compose a work in several steps) is not fixed. My last part for my piano sonata (see "share your music") begins with page1 on Notation 1915B (not with 1.17)

Hervé
Old 12-08-2006, 11:50 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Hervé, In about 5 hou

Hello Hervé,

In about 5 hours there will be a new 1.9.15C release that correctly extends the trial period of the beta. Sorry for this inconvenience.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 12-09-2006, 12:22 AM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Hervé, The 1.9.15C b

Hello Hervé,

The 1.9.15C beta release is now ready at www.notation.com/MidiNotateBetaRelease.htm

It won't be necesary for you to uninstall any previous beta release: you can instlal 1.9.15C on top of 1.9.15B or some previous 1.9.x.

Cheers
-- Mark