Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music > "Learning and Teaching" pieces

"Learning and Teaching" pieces Arrangements for helping aspiring musicians learn to play from sheet music.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2010, 02:10 PM

Default Fanfare for the Common Man Duet (Excerpt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR
This piece is written for Soprano Recorder and Alto Recorder. Play along with Notation Composer or print the piece for playing with your friend(s). Please feel free to change the instruments and/or keys to suit your personal needs. RRR
"Fanfare for the Common Man" by Aaron Copeland was commissioned by the Cincinnati Symphony in 1942 as a tribute to soldiers in the Second World War.

This Recorder duet excerpt was transcribed from:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/17242212/C...mmon-Man-Score

and covers the opening trumpet and french horn statements. The original piece was written in the key of Bb Major. Due to the high range of the Soprano part, a concession was made to keep it as low as possible, i.e., in the key of C Major. The Alto Recorder note in measure 16 should be a concert E, but this would transpose to a B below the staff, which is not within the Alto's range. May Mr. Copeland forgive me. If other instruments play this version, for accuracy, measure 16 should be corrected to a concert E for the harmony part, if possible.

My wife, Cynthia, has always loved this piece, as have I. As her playing skills become more advanced, so does her need for more advanced pieces. Of course, it doesn't sound anywhere near as majestic with two recorders, but it is fun for the two of us to play together.

This work is not really an arrangement, but simply a reduction of the existing score. Anyone could have created this duet by going to the website listed above and copying the parts. I have included Copeland's score markings. There is a tempo mark, but all of the recorded versions I have heard are played rubato, with tempo variations, so it should be played freely.

Admittedly, we miss the percussion parts. We play around and stomp our feet to try to simulate the missing percussion. I hope you enjoy this piece.

Ralph Rayner
Attached Files
File Type: not Fanfare for the Common Man Duet.not (23.7 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by rrayner; 10-23-2010 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Corrected a typo.