Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2008, 05:56 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Sherry, quote: Do you

Hi Sherry,

quote:

Do you have a definitive "This is IT!" moment for your compositions, or do you find that they are constantly "works in progress", sort of like an ongoing jam session?

I often experience the THIS IS IT moment. But I have never that I can remember got a stone tablet and carving instruments and probably never will. Two reasons. One is that when I hear something from a year before, I often get a That is the way I should have done it moment. Two is that however detailed your instructions, the performances of the music are going to differ from performer to performer or conductor to conductor. So I have been moving toward giving only instructions for what I think absolutely necessary.

Last summer I was listening to a performance of Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique by the Midlands Symphony, in which there were tempi I had never heard in any performance before--much faster that I had got used to hearing over the years. And I remember thinking that probably wouldn't have happened if Berlioz had put in a specific TPS numbers. It was still Berlioz, but Carl's vision of what Berlioz meant by a tempo annotation. So it was a good lesson in really thinking about how specific it is necessary or desireable to be.

An example of a This is it moment that became a this needs...realization, is my first piano concerto. The material beginning about about measure 230, or 4:04 minutes wasn't there until I returned to it about a year ago, and it struck me that a movement of its length needed a pronounced contrast. I wound up using the first theme backward in a contemplative dialog for piano and some other solo instruments. Now this seems to be IT, but I still haven't taken up stone carving.

So yes, I tinker. I usually start with a pretty good idea of what I want to do and can usually estimate to within a minute the length of a piece before I put down a single note and I don't (or didn't use to) do a whole lot of tinkering as I wrote. (That has changed, but for non-musical reasons that I don't really understand.) But once I have a draft I re-evaluate and make changes, that is, tinker, a lot. And after time has passed, I often tinker again. I guess the THIS IS IT moments should be considered tentative certainties, and working with stone tablet isn't something I'll ever have to do.

Or is it that Composer just makes tinkering, from minor to wholesale changes so easy? ;)

all best,
mgj