Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Tutorial Video Area > Tutorial Videos

Old 01-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Question: which tutorial video should be next?

Hi friends,

The holiday season is settling out, as well as some other items that take up my time, and I'm getting ready to plunge back into making some more Tutorial Videos. My question is: which topic should we address next?

My "cheat sheet" list is as follows:

• Using the Rebar feature - recording a new file without a metronome or using a "found" file recorded without a metronome, and then fixing the barlines to give usable sheet music.
  • Note editing - shifting, cleaning up recordings, simplifying the notation ("cleanup"), changing pitch and adding accidentals (using palette buttons as well as pitch-shifting)
  • Music symbols in the score (show the Notes/Ornaments, Notes/Accents and articulations, Text/Symbols, Expressions, and Lines)
  • Two-hand recording in Notation Composer, and splitting hands for keyboard staves for easy two-hand piano parts. (partly done in Recording with a metronome)
  • Piano helps: Splitting hands (and shifting notes to other staff), Pedal marks, creating piano reductions (touch on and refer to separate video)
  • Creating Piano reductions from multi-instrument files - tips and tricks for getting playable reductions.
  • Graph Over Notes - using this feature to affect the performance of a file, eg. for creating backing tracks or for demonstrating what your performance annotations are intended to do to the performance of the piece by real musicians.
  • MIDI Device Configuration commons tasks - eg. backing up configurations, importing an .ins file, manually changing instrument patch names, drum instrument names, etc.
  • Saving/exporting filetypes (and "printing" PDFs)
  • Parts - what is the difference between "part" and "staff", and how to create parts using the Wizard as well as Part/Display or define part.
  • "Cheater" tabs using Lyrics - this is touched on in the "Practice" video - maybe an expansion?

Some of these (eg. all the Parts tips and piano helps) relate to both Notation Musician and Notation Composer while others (eg. recording or most of the note editing) are only for Notation Composer.

Let me know (in a reply to this thread) what you would like to see next. I want to get the ones done that will help out the most folks first.

Thanks!
Sherry
Old 01-04-2012, 08:13 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa
Default Re: Question: which tutorial video should be next?

Rebar!

I never have gotten my head fully around that one.

David
Old 01-04-2012, 10:42 PM

As David has already suggested Rebar, my choice would be: MIDI Device Configuration commons tasks. There are some aspects in this area that leave my mind a little bit fuzzy.

BTW, Happy New Year!

Ralph
Old 01-05-2012, 12:21 AM
dbbd

Rebar!
Thanks!
Old 01-05-2012, 04:43 AM
cemi2525

Default What next? This is in my list..gracias.

MIDI Device Configuration commons tasks
Old 01-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Martydee

I use Notation basically for downloading a Midi File and trying to create a simple Fakebook sheet for piano. Getting the correct chords for left hand in a good key ( G down to Bb ) and when multiple instru,ments make up the piece getting them into the sheet music - this means when the bridge changes instruments the translation shows only empty measures.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Active User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry C View Post
  • Piano helps: Splitting hands (and shifting notes to other staff), Pedal marks, creating piano reductions (touch on and refer to separate video)
  • Creating Piano reductions from multi-instrument files - tips and tricks for getting playable reductions.
Creating piano reductions is about the only thing I use the software for, so these two are my priority.

- Mike
Old 01-05-2012, 02:45 PM
hockeymanvt

Since I use Composer to create parts for a choir, anything to help me take midi files and break them into separate voices and connect lyrics to them would be great. I often create midi files from PDF's. Many times the conversion is less than perfect so moving and manipulating notes would be a boon. Thanks for helping us use this great tool.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Product Manager

Howdy folks,

Well, with these responses plus the multitude of responses that I got to the email question at the helpdesk, I guess I need to just hole up in my little portable "studio" and do them all

Please keep the suggestions coming, and I'll be starting on the next one probably the first of next week.

Also, if there are aspects of the software that I don't have listed but you'd like to learn more about, please list those as well.

Thanks!
Sherry
Old 01-05-2012, 05:08 PM
jpresho

note editing - clean up
Old 01-06-2012, 04:28 AM
digitalrust

My first choice would be a detailed video on midi configuration for dummies, starting with how to get midi into the computer, then how to fixing common midi problems.

Follow that with a note editing video or how to cleaning up the midi notes you just entered.

Last it would be cool to see how to use rebar to turn the midi entered notes in to a proper score.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Active User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry C View Post
Posted this before, but it hasn't appeared.

Creating piano reductions is about the only thing I use the software for, so these two are my priority.

- Mike
Old 01-08-2012, 10:07 AM
brukent

How to edit, add delete or change notes. After importing a MIDI file I often need to make a few changes. Some sheet music starts with a single note at the end of the intro bar. This is difficult to set up. The MIDI interpreter usually starts on the first beat.

Adjusting lyrics to match the notes after pasting especially splitting words over several notes is tricky.

Thanks for asking
Old 01-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Product Manager

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by brukent View Post
How to edit, add delete or change notes. After importing a MIDI file I often need to make a few changes.
There are already tutorial videos on adding notes (see the "table of contents page" here) and I just added two videos on basic note editing.

Quote:
Some sheet music starts with a single note at the end of the intro bar. This is difficult to set up. The MIDI interpreter usually starts on the first beat.
Shifting barlines to accommodate a pickup beat is covered in the Formatting video here.

Quote:
Adjusting lyrics to match the notes after pasting especially splitting words over several notes is tricky.
That is covered in the Lyrics video here.

Enjoy!
Sherry
Old 01-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Product Manager

Lightbulb Re: Question: which tutorial video should be next?

Hi friends,

Do have a look at the "Table of contents" page for the existing videos here. You may find that the tasks you're looking for are already done

Also, if what you want to see is not yet covered in the videos and you haven't already, have a look in Help/Users Guide in either Notation Musician or Notation Composer. You can use the Index to look up a word that describes what you want to do or the object you want to edit. We've really tried to make the Users Guide helpful for actually getting things done, rather than just describe the buttons (though it does that too!).

And of course you can always ask questions here in the forum or at the helpdesk.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 02-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Product Manager

Hi friends,

Sorry for the long lapse in videos. I got out the note editing video and was looking to get out more when we got blindsided by a couple of family emergencies which invoked a major trip. However, the good news is that both situations ended up better than expected, and so we're very thankful for those outcomes! For Notation Software users, it means that I'm now back home on a regular basis, and should be able to get going again on the videos

So thanks for your patience, keep those suggestions coming, and keep making music!

ttfn,
Sherry