Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > General music tips and questions

General music tips and questions Ask questions or share tips about instruments, playing, writing music, or other music-related topics.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:38 AM
dixie

Default Transposing

What do I need to do to transpose key, chords and note pitch all at once. I transpose the key ok, the chords stay as original as do the notes. Thanks, Dixie
Old 07-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Transposing

Hi Dixie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie View Post
What do I need to do to transpose key, chords and note pitch all at once. I transpose the key ok, the chords stay as original as do the notes.
It sounds like what happened was that you changed the key signature, rather than actually transposed the song. The following is a bit of an explanation between changing just the key signature, or transposing the piece.

You can change the key signature just by double-clicking on the existing key signature, and changing it from something like F (one flat) to C (no flats or sharps). This type of change will only change the key signature and the way that accidentals in the notation are presented - it does not change the actual heard pitches for the notes.

For example, some instrumentalists are more comfortable with certain key signatures, and so prefer that their notation is shown in one of those key signatures, even if it means more accidentals in the score. Therefore, if a brass player (who, from what I know of them, typically prefer key signatures with flats rather than sharps) has a score with their part in G (one sharp), they may want to change the key signature to C (no sharps/flat). The actual pitches of the notes remain the same, but any F# notes will now be shown with an accidental in the score. Composer also allows you to change the enharmonic spelling of a note, so that the F# can either be an F# or a Gb, again depending on the preference of the musician.

To transpose the actual pitches of the song, you'll need to use Staff/Transpose Actual Pitches. Using this feature will (1) change the note pitches by some number of half-steps (you can choose up or down) (2) change the key signature and (3) change the chord names to go with the new key that you've chosen.

Hopefully this helps explain the difference. If it doesn't, do let me know.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 07-22-2010, 04:08 AM
dixie

Default Re: Transposing

Thanks Sherry,

Should have taken more time to read all the notes in the Tutorial!

Dixie