Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-10-2009, 06:23 AM
Senior User

Default Recover not working

Hi,
Recover, which has saved me on numerous occasions, suddenly stopped working about three weeks ago. As I am about to start working on something entirely new, I'd like to get it going again, but haven't figured out how.

The only possible contributing factors I can think of are:
1. Some time ago I got a format not recognized when I tried to re-open a file I had just closed. I re-started the computer, thinking that might help. When I opened Composer again, the mididev.cfg was 13kb, instead of the 80kb it had been. I deleted the new 13 kb one and copied the the one I had backed up the night before to the Composer directory. All worked as it should, except that the one file still would not open.

2. The recovery directory was getting huge, so every couple of weeks I have been deleting files no longer needed, but I've been doing this for months.

However, Recover was working as it is supposed to after these things happened, and I know of no incident in the last week of November when files I was working on stopped being added to the Recover directory. I have tried resetting the options, to 3/2 instead of 2/2. But nothing gets added to the Recover directory. I have also imported a mididev.cfg file from last April, when Recover was working, but that made no difference.

I haven't tried re-installing Composer over the current installation, then importing the last backed up mididev.cfg file. But I wonder if that is what I should try next. Or perhaps there is something a bit easier to have a go at?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

all best,
mgj