Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products

Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products Find out from others, or share your experience, about integrating Notation Software products with sound libraries, audio processing software, and other hardware and software products.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Senior User

Default Moderate Latency with MIDI Keyboard

I'm using an old MIDI KeyBoard (sorry I forget the name) that my daughter used years ago.

I'm using a TASCAM US-144MKII External Interface with a T420 Lenovo Laptop running Windows 7 x64.

To my surpize I just plugged it in and started Notation Composer and it Worked.

But the Latency is just bad enough to be annoying.

I've read through the threads on latency like this one.

http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=2111

But my TASCAM US-144MKII does support ASIO so I should not need ASIO4ALL, right?

My question is if I apply the "Click the box to UNcheck it that says [Open for MIDI output."] and my Interface supports ASIO, do I really need other tools ( LoopBe and SynthFont).

Could you explain a little more why?

Will I get no sound when I "uncheck Open for MIDI output", and I have to replace it with something that has low latency?

Is the Latency a Playback problem? If it is and Notation supports ASIO and my interface supports ASIO why is there a latency problem?

Or is the Latency problem the "MIDI Synthesizer built into Windows 7"?

Just trying to understand it all, I like minimalist solutions and it is partly why I use the TASCAM Interface because it does support ASIO.

I assume once I'm done I can mute say the Left Hand Piano Staff and Just play along while watching Notation play the Right Hand etc.

Not interested in Recording just yet.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2012, 04:40 AM
Senior User

Default Re: Moderate Latency with MIDI Keyboard

I have it working.

I did not need ASIO4ALL as expected.

I had problems with LoopBe1 detecting MIDI Feedback. I googled around for that problem and other people think they were getting false MIDI Feeback errors. The Keyboard would work fine, but as soon as I started playback on Notation Composer it would detect feedback after about 1 measure.

Folks suggested using LoopBe30 and disable the Feedback check and that worked.

I think I can answer most my own questions now.

The Windows MIDI Synth won't play through ASIO (maybe it could through ASIO4ALL, you have to have low latency to the Speakers (i.e. bypass Windows Audio Mixer)) by using SynthFont you get a different MIDI Synth (better/faster?) that supports ASIO (needed for low latency).

So you set Notation Composer to Output to the LoopBe virtual cable and SynthFont to use that LoopBe virtual cable as MIDI input.

I don't think the instruments sound quite as good.

It's a MK-4902 Kaysound Keyboard, not expensive but it works pretty good.

If I change the MIDI instrument on the KeyBoard it works. But as soon as I play Music from Notation it sets it back to Piano. I made sure I did not use Channel 1 in the Notation and kept that available for the KeyBoard, but that didn't seem to do the trick.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:51 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa

Hi,

Go to Setup/Midi Device Configuration and double click on the device you want to send to. In the dialogue box that comes up, uncheck Echo Midi Input To Output. That should get rid of your feedback problems.

Midi channel numbers have nothing to do with Voice numbers. To change the voice you wish to hear (instrument sound), click on the Speaker icon to the left of the track (in Window view) and select a new sound from the box. It's a General Midi list by default.

To change sounds within a piece of music, use the Sound Changes tab in the Main Palette to set a new sound by clicking in the place you want it.

Good luck.

David
Old 10-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj View Post
Hi,

Go to Setup/Midi Device Configuration and double click on the device you want to send to. In the dialogue box that comes up, uncheck Echo Midi Input To Output. That should get rid of your feedback problems.

Midi channel numbers have nothing to do with Voice numbers. To change the voice you wish to hear (instrument sound), click on the Speaker icon to the left of the track (in Window view) and select a new sound from the box. It's a General Midi list by default.

To change sounds within a piece of music, use the Sound Changes tab in the Main Palette to set a new sound by clicking in the place you want it.

Good luck.

David
I did uncheck "Echo Midi Input To Output" and it did not fix it.

I change Instruments all the time with the Speaker Icon in Notation. But if I'm not recording what "Staff" (Speaker Icon) is there to change instrument (Voice) on for the KeyBoard?

Each Staff is assigned a MIDI Channel and a Voice.

The Keyboard is on Channel 1 and can select it's own Voice.

But something in Notation is overriding the Voice on KeyBoard Channel (Channel 1), which I setup such that no Staff is assigned to.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:24 AM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)

Hi,

I have the Kaysound keyboard, too - we're talking about just a MIDI controller, correct?

For my setup, I use
(1) ASIO4ALL as the ASIO driver (yes, you'll want this )
(2) SynthFont as my playback device (with the MIDI loop disabled, as you've already done).
(3) and turn the GS Wavetable OFF. It interferes with ASIO, and will cause latency issues even with other devices (pernicious little bugger).
In Composer,
  1. click on Setup/MIDI Devices Configuration
  2. click on "Ports/Select Ports.
  3. In the right-hand panel, make sure that "Microsoft GS Wavetable" is UNchecked.
  4. Ok/exit out the dialogs
That hopefully should do the trick.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 10-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry C View Post
Hi,

I have the Kaysound keyboard, too - we're talking about just a MIDI controller, correct?

For my setup, I use
(1) ASIO4ALL as the ASIO driver (yes, you'll want this )
(2) SynthFont as my playback device (with the MIDI loop disabled, as you've already done).
(3) and turn the GS Wavetable OFF. It interferes with ASIO, and will cause latency issues even with other devices (pernicious little bugger).
In Composer,
  1. click on Setup/MIDI Devices Configuration
  2. click on "Ports/Select Ports.
  3. In the right-hand panel, make sure that "Microsoft GS Wavetable" is UNchecked.
  4. Ok/exit out the dialogs
That hopefully should do the trick.

ttfn,
Sherry
Sherry you don't need ASIO4ALL if your sound card supports ASIO. ASIO4ALL is a bandaide for sound cards that don't have ASIO support.

I did everything you said and it mostly works.

Except I got MIDI Feedback, I switched to LoopBe30 and that fixed that.

My only issue (which is not huge) is something I think in Composer is overriding the Instrument (voice) I choose on the KeyBoard. If I Choose for example 16 for Organ (on the keyboard display), the Organ works fine. But as soon as I play music from Notation to play along with, it changes KeyBoard (sound it produces) back to Piano even though KeyBoard display will still show 16.

How do you control the KeyBoard's instrument (Voice) in Notation (when not recording). There is no staff associated with the KeyBoard.

EDIT: A little more info on Notation Changing KeyBoard Instrument.

In SynthFont you can see a temp Midi Channel with Oragan Selected. As soon as I hit Play on Notation it Changes to Piano.

While it's playing I can change KeyBoard again to Organ and it will stick. The second I touch the staff, to say jump to another part of the staff, it flips back to Piano.

Also I have to have LoopBack in LoopBe30 on to get any sound from Notation or KeyBoard. That does not make sense to me. Nothing should need to be looped.

Last edited by mswlogo; 10-27-2012 at 04:59 PM.