Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music > "Learning and Teaching" pieces

"Learning and Teaching" pieces Arrangements for helping aspiring musicians learn to play from sheet music.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:01 PM

Default Dust in the Wind Duet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR
This piece is written for Soprano Recorder and Alto Recorder. Some of the pieces in this series are in keys that you might not see a lot in learning pieces. This was intentional to keep the Soprano part in the lower register. Play along with Notation Composer or print the piece for playing with your friend(s). Please feel free to change the instruments and/or keys to suit your personal needs. RRR
This song has long been a favorite of mine and Cynthia's. I believe this is what is termed a "reduction". I've tried to take the pop hit and select which of the many background nuances could be arranged in two-part harmony. A lot gets lost in reducing a larger arrangement like this, but I believe I've captured the essence of a very nicely done song. We certainly enjoy it.

Wikipedia says:

""Dust in the Wind" is a song by American progressive rock band Kansas, first released on their 1977 album Point of Know Return.

The song peaked at #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 the week of April 22, 1978, making it Kansas' only top ten Billboard Hot 100 charting single. The 45-rpm single was certified Gold for sales of one million units by the RIAA shortly after the height of its popularity as a hit single. More than 25 years later, the RIAA certified Gold the digital download format of the song, Kansas' only single so certified as of September 17, 2008."

We hope you enjoy playing it.

Ralph Rayner
Attached Files
File Type: not Dust in the Wind Duet.not (55.2 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by rrayner; 02-06-2013 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Reposting of the file
Old 02-06-2013, 04:08 AM

Default Re: Dust in the Wind Duet

While Cynthia was making something special in the kitchen tonight, I was playing some of the duets along with Notation Composer. While playing this song, I discovered that I had posted the file with incorrect repeat instructions. The printed version was okay, but the play-along didn't work too well. So, I've reposted the file with the correct "road map". My apologies to all who tried to play it along with Notation.

Ralph Rayner