Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music > "Learning and Teaching" pieces

"Learning and Teaching" pieces Arrangements for helping aspiring musicians learn to play from sheet music.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-15-2013, 05:53 PM

Default A Walk In The Black Forest Duet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR
This piece is written for Soprano Recorder and Alto Recorder. Play along with Notation Composer or print the piece for playing with your friend(s). Please feel free to change the instruments and/or keys to suit your personal needs. RRR
"A Walk In The Black Forest" was written in 1965 by Horst Jankowski. It reached #12 on the US Billboard Hot 100. It's another song similar to "The Happy Wanderer", light and not too difficult to play. Cynthia and I are enjoying playing it very much.

I first did a full orchestra version of this song in 1965 for the USAF Band for the radio program "Serenade In Blue". Cynthia was not familiar with the song until she heard my recording of it. She asked for (and of course, received) a solo copy of it shortly after she began her Recorder training. This was back in the days before I even knew about Notation Software, Inc., and had written Cynthia's part with a freeware notation application. Cynthia played it as a solo for years, until this month when I finally added the duet part (using Notation Composer -- YAY!!).

There is an underlying swing feeling for my rendition of the piece, so it was written in standard notation with a number of eighth note triplets (quarter + eighth). I have converted the file to swing notation, so it will be easier to read. There was one minor complication -- in measure 39 and 43, I use grace notes. Grace notes don't play nice after the conversion to swing notation. Therefore, I have posted two copies of the file: 1) A1 -- sounds the way you should play the figures in measures 39 and 43 -- note that the notes in these measures are parts of eighth note triplets; and 2) A2 -- looks how I want the score to look when printed. What we've done here is to print the A2 version for Cynthia's book, and kept the A1 version in case we want to play along with Notation, instead of reading it from paper.

Ralph Rayner
Attached Files
File Type: not Walk In The Black Forest, A1.not (41.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: not Walk In The Black Forest, A2.not (40.9 KB, 4 views)