Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-18-2009, 06:30 AM
Senior User

Default Re: Mark Walsen - Two Piano Apple Pie

Hi Mark,

You have probably explained why the ending of "...Apple Pie" has come to seem natural. I'm not sure I remember the fade to nothing effect of the Rock and Roll I recall as a teenager, much of which I liked during those years, at least not on juke boxes. But I have heard it enough in later years to think of it as good, bad or ugly, and it's not the first. That may say yours is good. I can intellectually accept the analogy of your ending to the ubiquitous fade in pop music. But the fact is yours doesn't fade. In fact, even though the second chord is unaccented, the final two together sound cadential.

RE the Haydn symphony, the "Farewell" Symphony. I guess the ending was intended to suggest that he and the orchestra should have some time off. That is extra-musical. "Finlandia," could be said to be as it is for extra-musical reasons, as could film music. I am not saying, in any way, that musical thought and instinct are not present during its making. Just that there are many reasons a composition may be started and worked on, some of them purely musical and some not. There is something--I'm not entirely sure what--that has made me want to cull and re-arrange the Fitzgerald translations of the quatrains of Omar Khayyam into a symphony, for many years, because music seems the appropriate medium. Really, the only one.

How many time have I heard in a theater or living room after the show ends, phrases like, "that ended funny," or "what the heck is that ending supposed to mean," or "that just leaves you hanging." In a poem, a story or a novel, the unexpected, sometimes seemingly unrelated ending, should cause the reader to wonder, as you said--to think back and put words and scenes and character traits, etc. together, and he/she will probably find a key insight. Perhaps one won't find so many such endings in music because such a process of wondering is more difficult? But at the same time if music causes the listener to wonder (I suppose "it" should be expanded to mean anything in the music), it could well compel him/her to listen multiple times, whereas a novel, which takes many hours to read, would likely not be re-read--at least not immediately, let alone often. Many poems stand somewhere between, and tend to present some of the same kind of problems as the unexpected in music.

I guess that after the first paragraph, this should have been continued in The Philosophy of Music section. Apple pie smothered in Cool Whip: / The universe scrumptious / And explained.

all best,
mgj