Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > News and notes > Announcements

Announcements News from the Notation Software team

Old 04-03-2005, 02:29 AM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Just as MidiNotate Composer us

Just as MidiNotate Composer uses Twinkle Little Star as the example for the tutorial documentation, MidiNotate Player needs an example MIDI that the user can open, view, and play.

In spite of objections from Notation Software's marketing department (my wife, Celeste), I'm seriously considering doing what Richard Perlmutter did when he added lyrics to Beethoven's 5th on his 'Beethoven's Wig' CD. To tell you the truth, it took me a few times hearing that CD to warm up to the idea of desecrating great classics with tacky lyrics. But now I like the idea, and I'm thinking of copy-catting Beethoven's Wig, in an even more tacky way.

I've added some lyrics to the opening theme of Mozart's 40th symphony. The lyrics advertise MidiNotate with barely an apology.

I'm attaching the MIDI file here. Tell me, honestly, whether you think this is totally tasteless but a good idea, or totally tasteless and a bad idea.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>Mozart's 40th with tacky lyrics
Mozart's40th.mid (29.8 k)</td></tr></table></center>

David, I expect to hear from you.

Cheers
-- Mark

Old 04-03-2005, 06:45 AM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Mark, Tacky, tacky, t

Howdy Mark,

Tacky, tacky, tacky .......

And I love it

Now I have new fodder to sing to my kids

You were wrong in your statement above, though. There is absolutely no apology to be found - and therein lies the beauty of it. Frankly, I think it's done so tongue-in-cheek that it's bound to bring a smile, and at least you wouldn't be there if they _did_ want to smack you for it ;)

I'm sure David will have additional commentary - and I'm looking forward to hearing it

My vote is a resounding YES!

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 04-03-2005, 03:56 PM
David Jacklin (dj)

Default Okay. Here's my contrib

Okay.

Here's my contribution. Some extended lyrics.

As to taste, there's no accounting for it. When I hear Bob Dylan songs being used to advertise banks,I doubt that Wolfgang will be rolling in his unmarked grave if he hears this one!

The idea of this version is that the purchaser will be so amused by the file that he'll play it for other people and they'll go to the website.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>A humble offering
Mozart_s40th-26714.not (313.9 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 04-04-2005, 06:23 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Sherry and David, My family

Sherry and David,

My family voted me down on adding the tacky lyrics to Mozart's 40th. They tried to convince me that it was poor marketing, that it would present an "undignified" image of Notation Software. I suspect that mostly they didn't want to have their family name associated with someone who writes that kind of "dribble", as one member of my family described it. I think I just need to step back here and be open to the possibility that I might have had poor judgement about the tasteless lyrics. If my family has that kind of reaction, then other people might have the same reaction as some people have (including myself) listening to "Bob Dylan songs being used to advertise banks" (David's quote).

So, the lyrics for Mozart's 40th are out. We'll just stuff this away in the corporate history file as a brief moment of insanity.

Thanks for your contribution to and support for this nonsense, David and Sherry. I knew I could count on you.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 04-04-2005, 06:46 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Ah, mob rule again ;) T

Ah, mob rule again ;)

There is such a fine line between genius and insanity, and few are they who are able to toe it successfully.

ttfn,
Sherry "hasbeenaccusedofbeingnutsbefore" Crann
Old 04-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Sherry,

Sherry,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

There is such a fine line between genius and insanity.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>I think this case could be summarized in less grandiose terms: there is such a fine line between humour and silliness :-)

Cheers
-- Mark