Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products

Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products Find out from others, or share your experience, about integrating Notation Software products with sound libraries, audio processing software, and other hardware and software products.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:56 PM
Active User

Question Getting Clavinova in Notation Composer

I tried to follow all the instructions in the Clavinova manual. It is a Yamaha Clavinova CVP-25. I did go over the Notation Composer tutorial but I think the fault is before then with the configuration. I am an old man who is not educated in the technology or vocabulary but I manage most things OK on my lap top.

The midi connecting cable does not have a product name. It has a logo like a treble clef and an IN and OUT light and the red light is on and the laptop tells me the driver is installed. I bought the midi recently.

Everything thing seems to work on Composer except that I cannot get the composer to write notes as I play. They will if I do them one at a time. I only do simple piano. No orchestration is needed, as I do not know a lot about writing music...I write a few songs for my guitar and I like to play the piano with chord progressions that sound good. I bought Notation Composer so I could print what I play on my piano keyboard Clavinova.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:06 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa
Default Re: Getting Clavinova in Notation Composer

Hello, Superman:

Notation products are very good at recognizing midi devices, but there have been some issues in the past with cheaper midi interfaces not being reliable. To be clear, that's usually a problem with the device, not Notation products.

Does the Clavinova appear in the Midi Device Quick Setup or Midi Device Configuration lists? If so, make sure you've selected it as an input device and for playback.

There's a great piece of software called Midi-Ox (don't ask me why) that monitors midi activity and lets you see what your midi device is doing. It's here :

http://www.midiox.com/

Try downloading and installing that. Use the "blue circle with yellow dots on it" icon to view and select your midi devices. If it's properly installed and working, you should be able to play notes on the keyboard and see the result in Midi-Ox's monitor boxes. If it's working in Midi-Ox, it should be working in Composer.

Let us know what happens, please.

David
Old 03-29-2013, 02:56 PM

Well, our setup is a little different, but I'll tell you how I do it, and perhaps it will help.

I have a Clavinova CVP-405 and I connect my laptop to it with a USB cable. Does the CVP-25 has a USB port? Does your laptop have a USB port? Do you have a USB cable that you could use for a short test?

I found out early on in working with my setup that the hardware/software handshake is a little bit touchy. Therefore, I have a certain routine that I follow when I'm getting started. I don't know if there are other ways that work as well -- I only know this works for me, and I stick with it.

From your description, I'm not sure if you have a valid connection between the two devices. When you are connected, can you play a song in Notation Composer and have the sound come out of your Clavinova speakers? If not, then there is either a hardware connection problem or a software setup problem. As you state, the laptop tells you that the Clavinova driver is installed. Let's assume that is good and move ahead.

This is my connection ritual:
1) turn on the Clavinova
2) make certain the cable is firmly connected between the Clavinova and the laptop
3) turn on the PC
4) open Notation Composer
5) play a song from Notation Composer -- there is a Minuet.mid file in the default Notation/Songs folder that will do if you don't have any personal songs

Does the song you've selected play through the Clavinova speakers? If yes, then you should be able to record by opening a new song, clicking on the red record button in the title bar, and playing some notes on the Clavinova keyboard.

If no, then check your software setup:
1) click Setup in the title bar, then MIDI Devices Quick Setup...
2) in the Quick MIDI Device Setup pop-up, look at the upper left corner in Select MIDI Playback Device
3) what is displayed in that area? Is it Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth? If so, that won't work for the Clavinova.
4) click the drop-down arrow at the right end of that box

When I do this, I see the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth entry and two Clavinova entries: Clavinova-1 and Clavinova-2. I have no idea what the difference is between them is, but Clavinova-1 works for me (I believe I've also tried the -2, but I'm not certain).

If you have Clavinova-1 or -2, or any Clavinova entries, select one of them and try the Test Playback button on the upper right. Try all of them to get one that works for you. If one of them works for the Test Playback, then you should be able to record as described above.

If the Select MIDI Playback Device does not show a Clavinova setup, then you will probably have to reinstall the Clavinova driver on your PC.

If the Select MIDI Playback Device does show a Clavinova setup, and the Test still doesn't work, then it would appear that you have a hardware connection problem.

Trying to troubleshoot your midi cable would be tough without help from the manufacturer. I would suggest trying a USB cable, if you have the capability.

I hope this helps.

Ralph

Last edited by rrayner; 03-29-2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Corrected some details
Old 03-29-2013, 06:59 PM

As my subconscious mind mulled over my earlier response, I recalled that when I installed the driver, there was an installation choice of Midi or USB, so if you can't get the midi to work, and are able to try USB, you will probably have to reinstall the driver on your PC to select USB.

By the way, I'm 74. We "old" folks have to stick together.

Ralph

Last edited by rrayner; 03-30-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:59 AM
Active User

Thank you David. This is my very first forum reply anywhere so I am thrilled. I will folow your adbvce as best I can. I think it is marvellous that we can talk over such distance.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:11 AM
Active User

Hi Ralph

Ha! 74! And I thiought I was old. [joke].

Thanks for your help. I think you spent a lot of time to describe everything to me and I am going to go through it a bit at a time.

My Clavinova-25 is connected to my computer by a media cable from the back with two 5 point plugs in it but they adapt to a midi and a cable with a USB that fits my laptop. I hope that makes sense.

Does the song you've selected play through the Clavinova speakers? you ask...no it does not so I have to go back to the drawing board. Maybe I will try again and see if I am doing it right.

I'll get back to you.

Ross
Old 03-31-2013, 01:47 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa

Getting to the very basics:

Make sure the Midi Out of the interface is connected to the Midi In of the keyboard and vice versa.

A not-so-obvious common mistake that some make.

David
Old 04-01-2013, 02:43 AM
Active User

Thank you. I will do that. It is the basics I need.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:40 AM
Active User

Ha! Everyone. Thanks for those quick responses. I can't believe it. Today I followed all the advice and now the midi works. Hooray! My notes are on the lap top screen after I play them. Troubloe is they are in one vertical line...so I have to study now how to write a piece of music.