Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:34 AM
Senior User

Default Sinfonia in F mvt 1, Jan Václav Antonín Stamic (Johann Wenzel Anton Stamitz)

Another favorite proto classic sinfonia.

Walt
Attached Files
File Type: not Sinfonia in F mvt 1 a02M.not (314.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Sinfonia in F mvt 1, Jan Václav Antonín Stamic (Johann Wenzel Anton Stamitz)

Hi Walt,

Thanks for sharing! Can you give us any background on this? I think I will actually be using this as a bass practice piece (I play bass in a big band, but like to use varieties of music for practice to stretch my technique repertoire).

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 04-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Senior User

Default Re: Sinfonia in F mvt 1, Jan Václav Antonín Stamic (Johann Wenzel Anton Stamitz)

I began reading "Mozart: A Cultural Biography" by Robert W. Gutman back in 1999 to get some perspective on the composer and found many references to his musical predecessors. I had studied (western) music history in college and on my own, but there are so many gaps. In particular, the transition from Baroque to Classical. One name for the music of that transition is "Proto-Classical." At some point it occurred to me to begin getting recordings of Monn, E. Bach, Wagenseil, J. Stamitz, Cannabich and other proto-classical symphonists, and found many of them very appealing as well as giving insight into the evolution of European musical styles and the symphony especially.

Then I found the "International Music Score Library Project" on the internet. It has collections of scanned scores -- some copies of manuscripts, some printed scores. Last year I began transcribing some of them using Notation Composer, starting with ones I could not find a recording of, and producing mp3 versions using Cubase SX3 and now also the Garritan Personal Orchestra Aria player.

I will post the second and third movements of this sinfonia next.

Thanks for your interest.

Walt
Old 04-18-2013, 12:52 AM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)

Hi Walt,

Thanks for that bit of information - it makes the music more intriguing and understandable Music history is absolutely fascinating - I should learn more myself.

I'll be eagerly waiting your next installment, both musically and educationally!

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 04-30-2013, 07:47 PM
Senior User

Default Updated: Sinfonia in F, Jan Václav Antonín Stamic (Johann Wenzel Anton Stamitz)

I've completely re-edited this sinfonia to include my latest thinking on dynamics (velocity values), tempo, stereo field (pan values) and have included a place-holder continuo part doubling the bass ('cello) with cembalo (harpsichord), to fill in a bit of the expected tinkly timbre.

This sinfonia, I feel, is a little gem and well worth the extra effort.

Please give me notes on tempo, articulation, dynamics, etc., if you're so inclined.

Thanks,

Walt
Attached Files
File Type: not Sinfonia in F mvt 1 a03M.not (376.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: not Sinfonia in F mvt 2 a02M.not (215.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: not Sinfonia in F mvt 3 a02M.not (228.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Senior User

I'm still not happy with the sounds on the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth (my default sound source). Here are links to some mp3 versions I did with CUBASE SX3 and EMU synth:

[The links to these files are defunct:
Sinfonia in F mvt 1
Sinfonia_a_4_in_F_mvt_1_b03.mp3
Sinfonia in F mvt 2
Sinfonia_a_4_in_F_mvt_2_b01.mp3
Sinfonia in F mvt 3
Sinfonia_a_4_in_F_mvt_3_b01.mp3]

These are from last year.

See new post for working links.

Walt

Last edited by aulos43; 03-21-2018 at 03:37 AM. Reason: url's changed; defunct url's noted