Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 07-29-2023, 12:46 AM

Default Slurs over Page Change

This is a problem that I have experienced with Composer over the years. I have two different PCs that show the same problem - on Version 4 and the Beta.

On this score, when I switch from Full Screen to Page mode, the slur in the Alto part misbehaves (see the three screen shots I have included). In screen shot #1 in Full Screen mode, the slur in measures 26 and 27 in the Alto part appears normal. In screen shot #2 and #3, the Alto slur drops down into measure 26.

I have experienced similar problems over my years with Composer, but this is the first time that I haven't been able to tweak my way out of the problem by moving the left anchor up/down/left/right - similar failures with the other three anchors.

Cynthia and I always play these songs on paper from the full score, so it doesn't help to print separate parts.

Grrr - I have three screen shots for this report, but I can't get them "resized" to satisfy the upload.

Ralph Rayner
Attached Files
File Type: not My Special Angel Duet.not (42.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-29-2023, 12:30 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa
Default Re: Slurs over Page Change

Hi, Ralph:

A hearty concur from me.

It's been on my wish list for quite a few versions, now.

Maybe in the next one.

David
Old 07-31-2023, 03:45 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)

Hi guys,

I have upped the limits for picture files for the forum. I'd really like to see the screen shots because when I opened up the .not file and looked at it a few different ways I'm not seeing any shifting slurs. I'm probably not holding my mouth the right way

Please do upload the screen shots (you can use Paint, which is on all Windows systems to annotate and crop or resize images) so I can more clearly see the issue.

Thanks,
Sherry
Old 07-31-2023, 09:19 PM

My dear, sweet wife Cynthia, helped me "remember" how to resize jpgs. Here are the three screenshots - resized for this forum:

Screenshot 2023-07-28 #1.jpg shows the score in full screen mode - measures 26 - 27 appear cleanly;

Screenshot 2023-07-28 #2.jpg shows the score in page mode - the area of the problem is in measure 26 with the offending slur in the alto part, and;

Screenshot 2023-07-28 #3.jpg again shows the score in page mode - only measure 27 is shown (not much value).

Ralph Rayner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-07-28 #1.jpg (100.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-07-28 #2.jpg (78.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-07-28 #3.jpg (64.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-01-2023, 12:32 AM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the screenshot. Unfortunately for debugging I am not able to reproduce that issue on my own setup.
Here's my screen shot in Page view:

sac-Ralph-slurs_ok_on_Page_view-sm.jpg

I'm not sure why it's behaving for me but not on your setup.
David, do you (or anyone else) see this issue on your set up?

Also a quick tip for tie placement:

1. Select the errant tie.
  2. Click the button in the Tie tool palette that puts it on the "wrong"side of the notes (eg. if the tie is above the notes, click the button that will put it below the notes).
  3. Now click the button that puts it back on the "right" side of the notes - typically this will do a nice job of placing it correctly. (I do this a lot of times rather than fidget and fuss manually with tie placement.)
If anyone else is seeing this wonky tie issue with this file or any other one, please let us know here. If you have a different file that is showing the issue (especially if it is consistent with a particular tie), please post that here. The more information we have the better the chance that we can nail down the problem.

Thanks!
Sherry
Old 08-01-2023, 01:20 PM

Hi, Sherri, Ralph:

Here are some screenshots from one of my compositions, showing the behaviour in question.

1. A slur over a page-break in Page View. This was the best I could get it.
2. The same slur after the page-break. Note that the right hand (after the page) is usually 'normal'.
3. The same slur as it appears in Scroll View with the slur selected. Note the distortion required to get the slur to appear even as in screen-shot 1.
4. The same slur moved to appear 'normal' in Scroll View with the slur selected.
5. The same 'normalized' slur as it then appears in Page View.
6. The right hand end of the same slur after the page-break.

I've also attached the .not file of the composition so you can try it out. The slur in question is at bar 31-32.

This issue goes back right to the beginning. I only have versions going back to 2010 on my hard drive, but I know it goes back at least that far.
Old 08-01-2023, 01:22 PM

The 6th pic and the .not file.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slur over page change problem screen grab 6.jpg (20.2 KB, 11 views)
Attached Files
File Type: not Sea Fever 6-01-23.not (267.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 08-02-2023, 12:43 AM

Sherry & David,

I don't know if this is a significant additional symptom, but when I left-click the left-most anchor in my (measure 26) example, the anchors disappears completely and reappear wherever the cursor is when I release, as it should, but it shouldn't be a blind drop. I do not see the same behavior in David's sample.

Ralph