Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:04 PM
Senior User

Default What's it gonns be?

I apologize in advance for this new post.
You see, I was feeling down and nostalgic when I wrote this song. I didn't give a thought as to how it may affect others, when, or if, they heard it. And I now realize that it may make you sad too.
I'm sorry. It now has a life of it's own. And it's sad! And Lonely. And Blue!
So, What is it going to be? I don't Know.
Please comment. I could use a laugh.
It was meant to be played loud. (To drown out your sorrows)

Sorry,
Jeffrey610
Attached Files
File Type: not WHAT IS IT GOING TO BE (EDIT).not (344.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 10-27-2019, 08:05 PM

Default Re: What's it gonns be?

Well, Jeffery, I don't know "What's it gonna be?", but it's a nice, relaxed composition, and shows quite a considerable command of using Composer.

On a side note, the piece comes in with the piano and guitars set at volume level 12. I arbitrarily set the four staves to 72, just to hear what was playing - not optimal for balance, but I didn't want to tinker.

Shake the blues and realize you are mastering a rather complex medium and a lot of fine things under the covers (Thank you, Mark!).

Ralph Rayner
Old 10-28-2019, 12:46 AM
Senior User

RRayner, You did exactly what was needed by turning up the volume of the Guitar and Piano. When I play back my individual instrument pieces it always sounds too loud. . .So, I can't seem to get a great mix. Maybe, (because I looked at some of your pieces) I should Standardize the volumes at @40 or so. Then, adjust PAN and Attack to get a fuller blend.
What do you think? I did say the piece should be played loudly, but maybe each playback system is different. I don't know. . .Headphones. . .Speakers. . . earbuds?
Well, at least you HEARD the Piano (LOL).
Thanks, let me get back to crying in my beer.

Your Friend,
Jeffrey610
Old 10-29-2019, 01:07 PM

Hi Jeffery - you won't see anything much more than an attempt to balance the instrument volume levels of my small band to big band/concert band/orchestra pieces, because of my small setup. I don't have any high tech sound card (just the one delivered with the tower), and I just use the sound font provided by notation. I've never experimented with panning and basically have a few diminuendos and crescendos here and there - so not much sophistication in that regard. David has done a lot more work in that area. So, in general, I set each instrument's sound level at the beginning and leave it unchanged throughout. It's one of those areas where I would like to spend some time, but just never seem to get around to it. Ralph