Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music > "Learning and Teaching" pieces

"Learning and Teaching" pieces Arrangements for helping aspiring musicians learn to play from sheet music.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2018, 09:57 PM

Default Those Were the Days Duet

Wikipedia says in part: "Those Were the Days" is a song credited to Gene Raskin, who put a new English lyric to the Russian romance song "Dorogoi dlinnoyu", literally "By the long road"), composed by Boris Fomin (1900–1948) with words by the poet Konstantin Podrevsky. It deals with reminiscence upon youth and romantic idealism.

Mary Hopkin's 1968 version of the song, produced by Paul McCartney, became a number one hit on the UK Singles Chart. The song also reached number two on the Billboard Hot 100, behind McCartney's own band The Beatles' hit "Hey Jude". In France the song was at no. 1 in the very first edition of the singles sales chart launched by the Centre d'Information et de Documentation du Disque in October 1968..."

I have marked measures 1 - 9 as rubato, meaning basically without a strict tempo. I tried to give a rough simulation of this free form tempo.

I have borrowed the ending of the Mary Hopkin arrangement, but with a twist. I switched the singer's last 4 notes (measures 38-43 - alright, the fifth and sixth notes are mine) to the alto part - the soprano part is a close approximation of what the orchestra does at the end.

This song has four verses (measures 1-9) and the chorus (measures 10-41) repeats for each verse. I show all of the lyrics, but I only let Composer play the first and second time only.

Also, in measure two, I have the eighth note marked 2x only, meaning only play this note the second time through. I have this note silenced, so you won't hear on either pass. In measure four, I have the eighth note marked 1x only, meaning only play this note the first time through. Given the way I have this arrangement structured, I am not able to silence this note the second time through, so if you are playing along with Composer, you will hear it play.

If you would like to see the lyrics or the chords, you can use Composer commands to display them: for lyrics use qsl; for chords use qscn.

Ralph R. Rayner
Attached Files
File Type: not Those Were the Days Duet.not (39.7 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by rrayner; 04-03-2018 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Added fermata in Alto part