Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-27-2009, 07:18 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default I wasn't sure which catego

I wasn't sure which category to put this in. It is structured on the complete Foster song, with various instruments taking the vocal melodies, but not varying them so much that with a dampening down of the solo instruments, considerably, a vocalist could sing the words, with the music as accompaniment. The main changes I have made are to note duration in an attempt to give more emphasis to certain words and phrases. I have also added and introduction and interludes between most stanzas and the refrains, which if you play the song backward, you will see what these interludes are based on. For those interested, the words go something like this (something like, because from memory):

Thou wilt come no more, Gentle Annie,
Like a flower thy spirit did depart.
Thou art gone, alas, like the many
That did bloom in the summer of my heard.

Refrain:
Shall we never more behold thee,
Never hear thy winning voice again,
When the springtime comes, Gentle Annie,
And the wild flowers are scattered o'er the plain?

We have roamed and loved mid the bowers
When they downy cheeks were in their bloom.
Now I stand alone mid the flowers
While they mingle their perfumes o'er thy tomb.

Refrain.

Ah, the hours grow sad when I ponder
Near the silent spot where thou art laid,
And my heart bows down when I wander
By the streams and the meadows where we strayed.

Refrain.

Without interlude, I repeat the second stanza again, and the refrain a final time.

Foster is one of the neglected giants of America's music past, as poet as well as melodist. I don't know as I have added anything, or if there is anything to add to such a perfect piece. All I have done is take another look, add some harmony that might have mildly shocked Foster, and allowed certain words to be emphasized by unbinding things metrically to an extent.

I know my wife would have liked this, so it has become a 47th anniversary gift.

An mp3 will be put on Soundclick when I have my new connection up and running and get my DSL address in the middle of the week. I tried it with MS Wavetable and found instrument volumes needed too much adjustment to spend the time. I have used mainly the Merlin Creative soundfont collection, with the solo strings from the Sinfonia collection.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>gentle annie
Foster's Gentle Annie (460.4 k)</td></tr></table></center>