Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music > "Learning and Teaching" pieces

"Learning and Teaching" pieces Arrangements for helping aspiring musicians learn to play from sheet music.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2015, 02:07 AM

Default She's Always A Woman Duet

"She's Always A Woman" was written by Billy Joel in 1977 for the album "The Stranger". Billy Joel was awarded the 2014 Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song, and also was the 2013 honoree of the Kennedy Center Honors for contributions to American culture.

This is a rather advanced piece in that there are numerous time signature changes - 12/8, 9/8 and 6/8. But please don't let this discourage you from trying it. The underlying beat is a very waltzy 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3. Of course, it will help if you are familiar with the song, but we feel it is still playable at the intermediate level.

Now, in regard to the harmony part -- Billy Joel loves a descending linear bass line and uses this feature in a number of his songs. As I was trying to arrange this part, it kept coming back to me that the bass line is so strong in the song that it really needs to be there. As a result, the harmony part is not very complex and some will consider it boring, but it is what Cynthia and I hear when we think of the song. Of course, bass players will probably love it. We hope you give it a try and that you enjoy it.

Note: I reposted the Composer file on 03/07/2015. After printing it last night, I saw that the last system on Page 1 had a very ungainly six measures in it, making it more difficult to read -- fixed the layout.

Ralph Rayner
Attached Files
File Type: not She's Always A Woman Duet.not (47.9 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by rrayner; 03-07-2015 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Reposted Composer File