Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products

Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products Find out from others, or share your experience, about integrating Notation Software products with sound libraries, audio processing software, and other hardware and software products.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Notation running on Tablets

Hi John,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TappyJohn View Post
Back on subject of using Notation on tablets etc. ... Are you aware of the 'neoScores' launch this Friday? A Belgian product which aims to do what I am talking about. (Allowing personal annotation of parts etc.)
Yes, we are indeed. As a matter of fact I'm signed on as a beta tester One caveat (as I understand it) is that it relies on having WiFi at the venue. I don't know about others, but for the big band that I'm in, this isn't always (nor even usually) an option at present. It does also require the initial outlay for the tablets/iPads, which for many groups is not a trivial proposal (again thinking of my own groups).

Quote:
I would hope that Notation Composer could still be used to generate the score, but we need something that can be readily used in performance.
You can do that currently by
  • having a copy of Notation Composer for your arranger/composer to create the master score and
  • at least a copy of Notation Musician for each member (so that they can do their own annotations, although Musician does not allow note editing)
  • on tablets/devices that run Windows.
If your group would like to make a group purchase, we offer generous discounts for such (please see www.notation.com/BuyMultiUnits.php)

You are correct (again as I understand it) that something like Neoscores has the "conductor's changes" propagate to all the members scores, but again it relies on a Wifi setup, which may or may not be an issue for some groups. I'm not sure how it works in the other direction, but it will be interesting to find out how they address that item.

Quote:
I do it with Notation on my laptop, but she has to use pdf on her tablet. The potential for a good 'performance' product is immense!
Yes indeed, the potential is good, but coming up with a versatile enough product without breaking the bank is definitely a challenge We would love to broaden the appeal and usage of our software to such users, while keeping the cost reasonable.

Quote:
I sing with a large choir and many of us would love to migrate to digital scores rather than the heavy unwieldy books we have to use now.
I can certainly appreciate that as I myself have migrated what I can of my own music (mostly for church, smaller gig material and personal performance music) to digital, so we're always listening to what our musicians like you are requesting For the big band I play in, we consider ourselves amateurs because we mainly play for fun, though we do play well enough that folks actually pay us to do it For that group, though, cost is a factor as well as the lack of WiFi for coordinating changes on the spot. We play a lot of outdoor venues in the summer that have no WiFi. So we still have huge folders of paper sheets....

Just a little brainstorming:

• How might you envision the "directionality" of edits? In other words, how would it be determined whether or not a change is "public" or "private"?
  • Who has access to what Parts, and how are Parts determined?
  • Is the song file actually downloaded onto each device, or is it viewed from a "source" file?
These are just a few "conversation starter" questions to help us brainstorm some.

Thanks for the stimulus
Sherry