Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share news about music

Share news about music Do you have some news about music that you'd like to share with others? Here's the place.

Old 09-26-2004, 10:04 PM
Evona York

Default Posted on Sunday, September 26

Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 4:56 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, Mark,

I love my MidiNotate, and would not want to be without it. As a college teacher specializing in music from many countries and in many languages, I find it much easier to get music in midi form on the web than to go out and buy sheet music. (You can understand that it would be hard to walk out to the local music store to buy something in Zulu or a Bosnian gypsy dialect.) So I use MidiNotate. I am really looking forward to the final version. I upload my MidiNotate files to Finale, which will read Midi files, and there I produce the final choral arrangements. It's a great setup! I have downloaded the trial version of Composer, but have not had time yet to play around with it much.

I recently bought Intelliscore, which is supposed to make midi files from CD's. I shelled out my money (nearly $80), and started working with the software. By the way, the trial version of Intelliscore is so limited you can't give the program any kind of in-depth trial with it. I went ahead and risked buying the software, and it think I got stuck.

Since Intelliscore makes the midi, I used MidiNotate to make the sheet music from the generated midi files. I have recently written to Intelliscore, telling them that I think I have really wasted my money, since the program is not only a pain to use (you have to sit and mouse-click through the piece like a metronome), and then the midi file was garbled and unusable in nearly all the cases I tried. The software did not pick up a great many notes, and what it did pick up just made no musical sense. If I had just wanted to record the CD for listening purposes, it would have been fine, but that's not what I bought the program for. Anyhow, I have received no reply at all from Intelliscore. Complete silence. The MidiNotate/Intelliscore interface seems to work fine, but since Intelliscore has not produced usable midi files for me, I don't recomend their program. Pity
Old 09-26-2004, 10:49 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Evonna, I'm sorry to h

Evonna,

I'm sorry to hear that Intelliscore's audi-to-MIDI didn't work. I'm not surprised. Nobody has yet developed software that can do a good job of audio-to-MIDI, except for single voice melodies. The almost unanimous assessment among audio software engineers is that this problem is either impossible to solve, or nearly impossible to solve without requiring a huge amount of help from the user, as you have noted. You won't find any honest software engineer claiming that he has solved this problem. You will only find perhaps some marketing people claiming that their frustrated software engineers have solved the problem. Complain to the marketing folk, but not the programmers(unless they are the same individuals), because the programmers have an impossible or nearly impossible job.

That said, I still dream that someone will solve the audio-to-MIDI problem. If they did, then we have audio-to-MIDI + MIDI-to-notation = audio-to-notation.

Cheers
-- Mark