Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:22 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa
Default Holiday greetings

Hi, all:

Sherry noted on my Facebook page that she listens each year to an overture I did some time back for an adaptation of Dickens' A Christmas Carol. It's nice to know my music pleases people.

Here's another piece from the same show, this one the 2nd act opener. Do please view it in Page Mode as you play it -- it's prettier that way.

It started off as an improv on the beautiful carol Lullay, Thou Little Tiny Child. I've taken my fumbling fingerings and cleaned them up a bit, but you can still tell that it was a free-time, non-planned piece.

I just liked it so much I put it in the show.

This is played over a slide-show of Victorian England photos and engravings, while the company prepare for the 2nd act.

Merry Christmas to all.

David
Attached Files
File Type: not No_9_Fantasy On Lullay.not (683.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-24-2010, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Holiday greetings

David -- this was very nicely done. Thank you for sharing it with us. Happy Holidays to you and your family. Ralph
Old 12-25-2010, 12:25 AM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)

Hi David,

I could see the pix in my mind's eye as I was listening to this. Another piece I'll be adding to my regular play list Thanks for sharing!

Merry Christmas!
Sherry
Old 12-24-2011, 02:16 PM

Well, another year of fruitful Notation Composing has gone by and I want to wish everyone here on the forum a Merry Christmas. A perfect Christmas Eve here near Ottawa, Canada -- about an inch of snow and a clear day.

Here are two numbers from my adaptation of Charles Dickens's The Chimes. This is the opening number and a piece from later on in the show.

The Chimes is a "holiday" story but not a Christmas one: it's set on New Year's Eve.

Here's a link to a video I put up to promote the show, which contains the cast singing both of these numbers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zgrkq0B_-M

Joyeux Noel.

David
Attached Files
File Type: not No 1 The Bells of London.not (198.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: not No 5 The Year Was Old.not (139.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Product Manager

Hi David,

And a very Merry Christmas to you as well

Thanks for so graciously sharing your music - I've added your two numbers to my annual Christmas rotation of Composer-aided music for my seasonal listening pleasure. I watched the YouTube video (you can embed that here if you'd like - just use the "projector reel" button in the editing box tools), and saw another one about your new theatre. Very cool! (and a lot of work!!). I like the songs, and the mix of pix that go with them. I'm glad that you've found Notation Composer to be helpful in all the music that you do.

I'll add my own holiday greetings here, and will also be posting some music in the not too distant future. Right now I have to go tweak it as we're putting it on tomorrow

Merry Christmas to all, and a bright New Year!
Sherry
Old 12-25-2011, 08:20 AM
Senior User

Outstanding, David. Also watched your interview, and am amazed there is so much talent among 6,000.

Merry Christmas,
mgj
Old 12-23-2012, 02:01 PM

Another holiday season and this year I'll change the pace with a bit of Bach.

Last summer I wanted some electronic Baroque for a production of Moliere's The Imaginary Invalid. Of course, the seminal source for electronic baroque music is Wendy Carlos' Switched On Bach album, or its follow ups. However, rather than "borrow" her work, I decided I'd do my own switched on album.

Here are three pieces by J.S. Bach, one by G.F. Handel and one by Claudio Monteverdi.

Because Ms. Carlos had the restriction of creating her music one line at a time on multi-track tape, I decided to restrict myself to one instrument and the built-in sounds on it. These tracks are not quite General Midi. If you have a Yamaha XG instrument, you'll hear all the proper voices. If you have a GM instrument, you'll hear something pretty close.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

David
Attached Files
File Type: not 11 Monteverdi Orfeo Toccata.not (117.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: not 6 Bach Air On A G String.not (233.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: not 13 Bach Prelude No 2 in C minor.not (169.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: not 7 Handel Water Music Bouree.not (492.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-23-2012, 02:10 PM

The final Bach piece was going to be the full Brandenburg Concerto No. 3, but it seems to be too big to upload (2.8 megs), so here's another bit of Handel, from the Water Music.

It's subtitled Louison's Dance because we used it for a musical interlude that a girl danced with a nearly life-size doll. A lot of fun.

Happy Holidays.

David
Attached Files
File Type: not 8 Handel Water Music Dialogue Louison's Dance.not (265.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-23-2012, 03:55 PM

David,

Thank you for sharing some very interesting treatments of these classical pieces. I particularly like the "Air on a G String". I had a very limited exposure to classical music when growing up, being more oriented toward big band and jazz. The first time I heard "Air" was by a group called the Swingle Singers. The piece has been a favorite of mine ever since, in any format.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours.

Ralph
Old 12-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Product Manager

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing these arrangements! As always, some very interesting treatments - the instrumentation changes, and the panning and other effects that I'm sure made some great use of your theatre's sound system. I listened through these with my headphones, so that I'd catch the interesting bits You can be sure that I'll be listening again (and again and...)!

Small note: I had to change the channel assignment on 13 Bach Prelude No 2 so that each staff had its own channel for the stereo effect to work correctly - in case anyone else has the same issue I did initially of it cutting out).

Also, if you'd still like to post the larger file, please try again. I've made some adjustments and hopefully you'll be able to post the full file now.

Merry Christmas to all!
Sherry
Old 12-26-2012, 07:40 AM
Senior User

Hi Dj,
Love the sound of the Monteverdi. The suggestion of voices used as instruments gives it an almost hypnotic effect. All are interesting, and I thoroughly enjoy them.

Happy Holidays to all.

mgj
Old 12-26-2012, 12:09 PM

Thank you, all.

Sherry, I've tried to upload the Brandenburg again, but still no luck. Even though the limit says it's now 4 GIGAbytes! Can't think why there might be a problem.