Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Active User

Default Re: Unable to find device in config.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj View Post
Rick:

That sounds very much like a driver conflict. If another program is trying to connect to the driver at the same time, you can run into the slowdown syndrome.

I have several Composer versions running on my computer, going back to 1.6 and they all seem to work fine with the UM-1. The version of Composer shouldn't matter at all; they're essentially the same when it comes to handling of midi ports.

The fact that you were able to send data to your synth means that the UM-1 port was working -- the fact that it was running so slowly points to a conflict. In the old days of DOS 3.0, I'd have said it was an IRQ conflict. Nowadays, it's either the driver or another program trying to access it at the same time.

Just had a thought: go to Setup/Midi Devices/Configuration/Port/Select Ports and see whether the UM-1 device shows up and whether it is checked as selected for your configuration.

Good luck.

David
David,

The problem is that no other midi program I am running on the system has any problem, including some pretty old x86 programs. All the other programs see the UM-1.

Just took a look at the port selects as you suggested and found the Notation Musician program had automatically selected ALL ports for input and output. Naughty - naughty! ;-) After deselecting all the inappropriate ports the program plays through MidiYoke to the synth at tempo. ;-)

The program still does not see the UM-1 directly but I am now able to evaluate the program to make a purchase decision. Thank you David for the helping hand.

cheers,
Rick

Last edited by Thoraldus; 06-24-2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Bad Grammar