Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Suggestions and feature requests

Suggestions and feature requests Make suggestions for improving any aspect of any Notation Software product, or for new features.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Senior User

Default Re: Ability to import MusicXML and/or ABC

People get confused on the purpose and needs of Notation Composer for different users.

It's not to just SEE the notes and print them. It's to PLAY along AND SEE the notes at the same time.

There are dozens of apps (some free) that can convert ABC to Notation or to MusicXML or MusicXML to notation and print the score.

Many of them stop there.

A few allow to play it. But many play them poorly compared to Notation Composer. Many don't allow controlling which staffs play and which are visible (That's huge).

The only software I have seen that does it all is Finale ($600.00) and I still think Notation Composer does it better.

One thing that many of the ABC to MIDI converters do (like the one built into http://abcnotation.com) is generate a bass clef staff of chords from the chord names in the ABC (a seperate MIDI Track/Instrument?). Most tools that import ABC directly don't do this. This is huge. Because it allows a user to control the viewing and listening of chords with Notation Composer.

As I get better I shut the melody off and let the chords play while my eyes still follow the score of just the melody.

Also the request is not for the purpose of editing or Composing ABC or MusicXML. It's just to get that information contained in the ABC or MusicXML into a great tool called Notation Composer. Once there I don't care what format it is in.

There are also plenty of tools that convert ABC to MIDI. But they lose structure of the tune. Repeats, Chords, alternate endings and Measure alignment (all in my tutorial of how to restore it all).