Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Tips and tricks for using Notation Software products

Tips and tricks for using Notation Software products Learn (and share) tips and tricks for getting the most out of your Notation Software products.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Lightbulb Video tutorials - let's make a list!

Hi friends,

We've long wanted to create a series of video tutorials for various tasks in Notation Musician and Notation Composer. I've done some videos hither and thither in answering questions along the way, but am now looking to create some more video tutorials. We would also like to have a dedicated page for them for quick and easy reference. I can't promise that we'll be able to do every one that gets requested, nor can I promise a time frame, but I'd like to make an honest effort at having more of these available.

So, what topics would you find helpful now, or what would you have found helpful when you first started using Musician or Composer? Please remember that this is video tutorial topic list for the programs as they currently exist, not a feature request list (feature requests have another home here).

Some topics that come to mind:
Using the Rebar feature - recording a new file or using a "found" file recorded without a metronome, and then fixing the barlines to give usable sheet music.

Transcription options
- what are they, why they matter, and how do I change them for opening a file or for recording a new file (or changing them if I don't like the notation).

Two-hand recording
in Notation Composer, and splitting hands for keyboard staves for easy two-hand piano parts.

Creating Piano reductions from multi-instrument files.

Lyric entry
- How-to guide for syllable-by-syllable, copy/pasting from text files, and multiple verse entry

Graph Over Notes
- using this feature to affect the performance of a file, eg. for creating backing tracks or for demonstrating what your performance annotations are intended to do to the performance of the piece by real musicians.

"Edit/Paste Special" copy/pasting - filling a staff with a "loop" of notation, paste-inserting measures, chord names, Tempo and other MIDI performance data ("on top" of existing notes).
This list is just a start, based on an off-the-top-of-my-head recall of helpdesk requests. Please feel free to add other topics, or to make notes about those mentioned above.

Thanks for your help here!
Sherry