Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-2010, 01:29 AM
Active User

Default New Symphonic Poem - Angel Meadow

This is my new one.

http://composersforum.ning.com/video/angel-meadow

Worked on it obsessively for 3 weeks.

I won't give a Youtube link, as I will have to cut it in Youtube as it's over ten minutes long.

I started this on notation composer, then exported it to Sibelius for the finer score details and parts and then to Cubase for the mock up.

I have, as usual, made a video for the music, because there is a real story to tell:

The modern day filming (which I have "aged" with a sepia tint) is of an area of Manchester of great historical importance.

Angel Meadow was one of the most notorious of Victorian slums, where whole families would live in so-called "cellar dwellings". The slightly better off lived in back-to back terraced housing.

Charitable institutions were set up to provide relief for the poor, often with an undercurrent of Christian missionary work, One such society, the Ragged School Society, still has two buildings that stand in the area that was once "Angel Meadow". Sharp St and Charter St Ragged Schools feature in my filming.

The contemporary footage mainly comprisies shots of Manchester from 1902 by pioneering film-makers. One film is actually of a march through Manchester. Look carefully and you will see "Ragged Schools Society" on a banner. It's also clear that one of the marchers has bow-legs, a result of the disease rickets, which resulted from a vitamin D deficiency.

Other stills are from paintings by LS Lowry who, more than anybody else, captured the bleak outlook of industrial society in the North of England.

My aim in this music is to create an aural portrait of the life in 19th century Manchester. Its bleakness, auterity and pity were at the forefront of my mind in this piece - a mood hopefully conveyed by the euphonium solo. The missionary zeal of the reformers makes an appearance in the march, which comprises the second theme.

However, three quarters of the way through there is change in mood. There is hope to be found in the human spirit, which always seems to find a way to triumph in the face of adversity.

Angel Meadow has now turned full circle. It is a thriving inner-city park amidst an area of urban renewal.

"City Living" is now an bourgeois aspiration, rather than a ****ation and curse that befell those of little means in Victorian and Edwardian Manchester.

Last edited by adrianallan; 02-27-2010 at 09:03 AM.