Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products

Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products Find out from others, or share your experience, about integrating Notation Software products with sound libraries, audio processing software, and other hardware and software products.

Old 11-02-2005, 03:19 AM
Jeff Frady

Default I'm having a problem with

I'm having a problem with the 1.1.x series of Musician. I have a NForce2 motherboard with the onboard Soundstorm sound module. I'm using the NVIDIA mixer to load soundfonts. For some reason, certain MIDI's will not play drum parts even though the drums are on channel 10 and not muted. The drum staves show up properly, and the staff setup has the drum track box checked. The DLS synthesizer is the default output device. Any ideas? I didn't have issues with the 1.0.x series.

The only way I can get drums is to use the Microsoft GS Wavetable. Here's a sample midi that's giving me problems. For some reason, the drums sound like a piano.

Thanks,

Jeff<center><table border=1><tr><td>Spock's Beard "Harm's Way" - missing drums
Harm's Way.mid (107.9 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 11-02-2005, 03:53 AM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Jeff, Spock's Bea

Howdy Jeff,

Spock's Beard! I have a number of "cyber friends" who are also Spock's Beard fans. Pretty cool midi file!

I am sorry you're having difficulty with it, and I think it may be because of the SysEx events that are in the file. I'm going to upload a copy of the file that doesn't have the SysEx events in it here.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>Spock's Beard minus sysex
Harm_s_Way-27622 minus sysex.mid (106.7 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Please try playing this file and see if the drums will sound correctly with all your devices. Please do let me know whether this works for you or not.

There have been some reports of devices showing various "symptoms" if SysEx events are in the MIDI file. Mark (the developer) is currently working on a "fix it" patch for this, which should be released in the next few days.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 11-02-2005, 04:02 AM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Jeff, I think this is

Hello Jeff,

I think this is a problem that was introduced in 1.1.x when MidiNotate started playing MIDI SysEx messages. This problem will be fixed in version 1.1.6, which will be released in a few days.

A way we can confirm that 1.1.6 will fix the problem is to remove the SysEx messages in your MIDI file, and see if it plays ok with 1.1.x<6. I've removed the SysEx messages in the attached Harm's Way-with-SysEx-removed.mid file. I'd appreciate your letting me know if that does fix (work around) the problem.

Cheers
-- Mark<center><table border=1><tr><td>Harm_s_Way-with-SysEx-removed.mid
Harm_s_Way-with-SysEx-removed.mid (106.7 k)</td></tr></table></center>
Old 11-02-2005, 04:07 AM
Jeff Frady

Default That seems to have fixed it!

That seems to have fixed it! I guess I'll have to wait for the patch. It's a pain because nearly all of the SB files I have (which seem to have been made by the same composer) have this issue.

Thanks for the super-quick response!

Jeff
Old 11-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Jeff, Mark now has re

Howdy Jeff,

Mark now has released a patch that fixes the problem you noted above. It's available at www.notation.com/ComposerUpdate.htm or www.notation.com/MusicianUpdate.htm

You can also see the release notes there.

ttfn,
Sherry