Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Active User

Default Winter Winds - Piano Fantasy

Hello everyone! I would like to share with you, my latest composition and certainly would appreciate comments to continue improving myself!
Attached Files
File Type: mid Winter Winds Final.mid (70.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 05-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Winter Winds - Piano Fantasy

Hi,

I've been sitting here and listening to your piece, and it has been a very pleasurable listening experience!

Could you tell us a bit about your composition - eg. any inspiration, how you did it, etc. ? It's always fascinating to me to find out how folks compose their work.

I'm assuming that you recorded it at least partly as an improvisation without reference to a metronome, because when I open the .mid file in Notation Composer, the tempo reading never changes even though there is a lot of variation within the performance. The notation, therefore, would not be suitable for someone else to try and play your performance. It also sounds like there may have been two different sessions put together into a single file (the note velocities are quite different in the two sections, beginning in measure 244). Perhaps these are intended as two different movements of the composition?

I'm not sure how you're looking to share this. As a performance it is already quite satisfying. If you want to get it into a sheet music format to share with others so that they can play it, you could use the ReBar feature in Notation Composer to set the barlines properly (while maintaining the nuances of the performance) so that the notes and rhythms would be readable.

Keep up the nice work!
Sherry
Old 05-24-2011, 12:18 AM
Active User

Smile Re: Winter Winds - Piano Fantasy

Hi,

Thank you for your compliments to my composition! It's indeed quite satisfying to know that you took the time to listen to it and make such accurate comments. I initially started working on this composition several years back. I have always felt a fascination for the Winter season. Specially if you can watch the weather outside from within the comforts of a nice fire place and an enormous glass window! This setting has always been a source of inspiration for me. Initially as you very well point out, my first thoughts were to work this out in a Sonata format. So, bar 244 would be first bar of the Second Movement and bar 465 initially considered the Third Movement. Then I gave up on that and decided to share it the way it was. You are also right on the fact that some segments were improvised and then I would go back and polish them or expand them as a variation of a given theme or development of a particular phrase or phrases. I definitely will follow your advice on re-processing it through Music Composer to make the entire piece properly written so anyone else could play it. I would love to publish it now that I got my registration certificate from the US Library of Congress. Could you expand a little bit more on how I go about doing that?

Thank you so much!
Old 05-24-2011, 02:14 PM

A very nice piece. I enjoyed listening to it.

Ralph
Old 05-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Active User

Thank you kindly Ralph!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iosonoilprologo View Post
I have always felt a fascination for the Winter season. Specially if you can watch the weather outside from within the comforts of a nice fire place and an enormous glass window!
One of my favorite ways as well

Quote:
Initially as you very well point out, my first thoughts were to work this out in a Sonata format. So, bar 244 would be first bar of the Second Movement and bar 465 initially considered the Third Movement.
I wondered about that. I think you could still treat it as a Sonata in three movements. It would certainly make the sheet music easier to keep up with

Quote:
You are also right on the fact that some segments were improvised and then I would go back and polish them or expand them as a variation of a given theme or development of a particular phrase or phrases.
I'm just curious if you used Notation Composer to do any editing or punch-in recording or polishing. For myself (and yes, I do work for Notation Software now), the ability to record and edit so easily were just some of the features that I found so freeing in composing music. Just some of the reasons that I ever agreed to work for the company

Quote:
I definitely will follow your advice on re-processing it through Music Composer to make the entire piece properly written so anyone else could play it.
I'm planning to create a tutorial video for the ReBar process, but until I get that done there's a pretty good section in the Users Guide about how to use the feature (Help/Users Guide in the program, and use the Index to look up "rebar").

Quote:
I would love to publish it now that I got my registration certificate from the US Library of Congress. Could you expand a little bit more on how I go about doing that?
I'm not sure what type of publishing you're looking to do, but we do have an information page on Songwriting Resources that includes a section on publication which you might find helpful.

ttfn,
Sherry