Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 02-23-2015, 10:32 AM
Senior User

Default Controlling screen refresh

Is there any way to stop Notation Composer from shifting the measures around when editing a score?

I am tidying a choral score imported from a MIDI file. It has a lot of messy dotted notes and double voicing in the accompaniment which require careful checking against the printed score. Sometimes changing just one note causes a screen refresh which shifts the measures around on the screen or, at worst, causes the measure being edited to shift to the previous or next page.

This is a real pain to ancient editors as I have to keep relocating the measure that I am editing on screen by which time I have lost track of the printed score - and then it happens all over again with the next edit.

So is there any way of saying to Composer that whilst it is very helpful to optimise the layout, could you please leave the measures in the same position on the screen until I "release" them?

I can quite understand this may be impossible: it's just causing me a lot of frustration at the present time.

Tim
Old 02-23-2015, 01:41 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa
Default Re: Controlling screen refresh

Hi, Tim:

You could go into layout and lock all the measures.

A quick test let me put a long run of 16ths into a very tight bar at the end of a locked page without re-formatting of the page.

Might do what you want.

David
Old 02-25-2015, 01:55 PM
Senior User

David

Thanks. I normally work in Window View but I will try your suggestion in Page View and see if it helps.

Tim
Old 02-26-2015, 05:46 AM
Senior User

Hi,

I only work in window view. This irritating behaviour, which I named “Loss of Focus” many years ago, was quite bad those many years ago. By version 2.6, Mark Walsen had improved on it. It still is not quite right and can be annoying.

During editing, Composer needs to keep record of the point of focus and the number of measures before and after. After the edit and distribution of space of the notation, I would expect that composer positions the point of focus as close as possible, relative to the initial position. This may reposition the point of focus a bit, but not right off the screen.

Best Wishes,

Herbert
Old 02-26-2015, 09:29 AM
Senior User

Herbert

Thanks for the terminology. I'm relieved that I'm not the only person who finds this a problem. One of my main activities is preparing choral scores for use as practice files by our 40 strong choir. In many cases I run a printed score through recognition software which works well for simple scores but at present I am fighting with a score with lots of tuplets which are not recognised accurately and the subsequent editing regularly shifts the focus.

But it's still a great tool and with persistence gives us the assistance we need.

Tim
Old 02-26-2015, 12:30 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)

Hi guys,

Sorry for the bother, but we do have this as a task in the database to address.

Thanks for your patience!
Sherry

task 2807